Ending a tenancy with prepaid rent -question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ending a tenancy with prepaid rent -question

This is the first time I've had to give notice to end my tenancy and I was planning on staying for 12 months, but since circumstances have changed and my university has shut for the foreseeable future I just wanted to verify some details and my notice letter.

The TA was initially a fixed term from 22 August 2019 - 21 February 2020 and transitioned to month-to-month after that, however the rent is due every six months. Would that entitle me to a refund for the remaining months that I prepaid for 22 Feb to 21 Aug?

Would the below notice letter be suitable?:

I am giving notice that I intend to terminate my tenancy at [address] on 21 May 2020.

I request that the remaining three months' unused prepaid rent amount totalling [amount] be returned to the bank details below:

[bank details]

Please reply to this email to confirm that you have received this notice.

Yours sincerely,

[my name]

Thanks for the help

What does your tenancy agreement say about notice?

Comment

Originally posted by DPT57 View Post
      What does your tenancy agreement say about notice?
      Thanks for the reply. The agreement requires a minimum of one month's notice served via email or post.

"At the end of the initial fixed term as specified in clause 2 hereof, the Term shall continue on a month by month basis until either party shall serve on the other a written notice to bring the same to an end [...] In the case of a notice served by the Tenant, such notice should expire no less than one month after service of the same on the Landlord."

Comment

I'd send the letter you plan to.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Do as jpkeates advise, but the answer to the original question is "probably no".
          I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by KTC View Post
            Do as jpkeates advise, but the answer to the original question is "probably no".
            I agree, but no harm in assuming it will be OK!
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Sounds a bit like an ultimatum. I'd politely negotiate first.

Comment

No need to negotiate. The tenant is entitled to serve notice and receive a refund. Thd landlord would be doing them no favour.

Comment

This is not a case of ending the tenancy early with the agreement of the LL; it is exercising the tenant's right.
                  The LL has no entitlement to rent once the tenancy has ended.

Requiring rent to be paid up to 6 months in advance for a monthly periodic tenancy sounds like a deposit to me (security for something that may never rise, as in this case).

Comment

The only bit of the proposed letter I have a problem with is
                    Originally posted by dgh99 View Post
                    I am giving notice that I intend to terminate my tenancy
                    That could be interpreted as "I am not yet giving notice to end the tenancy, but I expect to do so soon".

I would use something like
                    Originally posted by dgh99 View Post
                    I am giving notice that I am ending my tenancy

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to deposit deductions
                      by jpkeates
                      That clause is not longer enforceable and is no longer valid (Tenant Fees Act 2019 - which extended to existing tenancies on 1st June 2020).

The tenant remains liable to return the property in the same condition as it was let to them, less fair wear and tear.
                      If they don't, the landlord...
                      11-07-2020, 09:13 AM
                    • deposit deductions
                      by Piptrees
                      Tenancy agreement clearly states carpets and curtains should be professionally cleaned at the end of the tenancy. Outgoing tenant did not have these done so presumably I have the the right to deduct these costs from his deposit?
                      10-07-2020, 16:45 PM
                    • Reply to Tenant's NtQ
                      by jpkeates
                      Once the notice expires, the tenancy ends.
                      Which means that anyone in the property afterwards is, as far as I can determine, a trespasser.

So the owner should be able to lock them out and they should have no recourse against the owner.
                      As they have no right to be in the property,...
                      11-07-2020, 09:10 AM
                    • Tenant's NtQ
                      by HantsAgent
                      I have a tenant (an unmarried couple, joint and severally liable AST) in a property with some fairly substantial arrears.

The female partner has contacted me recently to state that she was largely unaware of the financial issues and has just discovered that her partner has been hiding numerous...
                      10-07-2020, 14:09 PM
                    • arrears and damage
                      by Dougie99
                      Hi, I have recently had 2 tenants leave Mother and daughter and 2 kids. They had been in arrears since Feb and left owing £2130.

I had £1040 deposit signed to me and they signed an agreement to pay arrears over 12 months, they moved out a day before they said they were going to and moved...
                      11-07-2020, 08:10 AM
                      by mind the gap
                      This is not an attack on OP, but in my experience the landlords who are most officious about demanding that tenants pay for professional cleaning at the end of the tenancy are the least likely to have ensured such cleaning happened prior to its commencement.

There really should be no...
                      11-07-2020, 07:09 AM
                    • Reply to Can LL seek compensation for unpaid rent if tenancy was ended over text message?
                      by mariner
                      IMO No. A SPT period can be valid for upto 3 years
                      11-07-2020, 03:51 AM
                    • Can LL seek compensation for unpaid rent if tenancy was ended over text message?
                      by youngnotgullible
                      Sorry if this isn't the right place to post. Desperate for any input on the situation I'm in.

I ended my tenancy early. On the 1st of April I sent my landlord a text message stating that I'd 'transfer [April's] rent' to him, and that it would be my last month spent in the room. I initially...
                      09-07-2020, 20:42 PM
                      by mariner
                      A Tenant only has to 'return Property in similar condition,less FW&T, as of start of T.'
                      11-07-2020, 03:29 AM
                      by Piptrees
                      “To arrange for the Property to be professionally cleaned on the termination on the
                      tenancy and pay for any cleaning services that may be required to reinstate the Property to
                      the same order in which it was provided at the commencement of the tenancy including
                      the cleaning of...
                      11-07-2020, 02:23 AM
                    Working...
                    X