Break tenancy due to current circumstances around the Coronavirus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Break tenancy due to current circumstances around the Coronavirus?

Let have a look at this case:

An individual is renting a flat under an "assured short term tenancy". The agreement has a break clause, exercisable earliest on 28 July 2020.

Given the current circumstances (around the coronavirus), is there a possibility for the individual to get out of the tenancy earlier than 28 July 2020?

Thanks

No, unless the law changes.
    And it would be an odd piece of legislation to allow more movement in a period of lockdown.

Unless there is anything in the tenancy about acts of god or force majeure.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Yes. Mutually agreed surrender.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Tenant's NtQ
        by jpkeates
        Once the notice expires, the tenancy ends.
        Which means that anyone in the property afterwards is, as far as I can determine, a trespasser.

So the owner should be able to lock them out and they should have no recourse against the owner.
        As they have no right to be in the property,...
        11-07-2020, 09:10 AM
      • Tenant's NtQ
        by HantsAgent
        I have a tenant (an unmarried couple, joint and severally liable AST) in a property with some fairly substantial arrears.

The female partner has contacted me recently to state that she was largely unaware of the financial issues and has just discovered that her partner has been hiding numerous...
        10-07-2020, 14:09 PM
      • arrears and damage
        by Dougie99
        Hi, I have recently had 2 tenants leave Mother and daughter and 2 kids. They had been in arrears since Feb and left owing £2130.

I had £1040 deposit signed to me and they signed an agreement to pay arrears over 12 months, they moved out a day before they said they were going to and moved...
        11-07-2020, 08:10 AM
      • Reply to deposit deductions
        by mind the gap
        This is not an attack on OP, but in my experience the landlords who are most officious about demanding that tenants pay for professional cleaning at the end of the tenancy are the least likely to have ensured such cleaning happened prior to its commencement.

There really should be no...
        11-07-2020, 07:09 AM
      • deposit deductions
        by Piptrees
        Tenancy agreement clearly states carpets and curtains should be professionally cleaned at the end of the tenancy. Outgoing tenant did not have these done so presumably I have the the right to deduct these costs from his deposit?
        10-07-2020, 16:45 PM
      • Reply to Can LL seek compensation for unpaid rent if tenancy was ended over text message?
        by mariner
        IMO No. A SPT period can be valid for upto 3 years
        11-07-2020, 03:51 AM
      • Can LL seek compensation for unpaid rent if tenancy was ended over text message?
        by youngnotgullible
        Sorry if this isn't the right place to post. Desperate for any input on the situation I'm in.

I ended my tenancy early. On the 1st of April I sent my landlord a text message stating that I'd 'transfer [April's] rent' to him, and that it would be my last month spent in the room. I initially...
        09-07-2020, 20:42 PM
        by mariner
        A Tenant only has to 'return Property in similar condition,less FW&T, as of start of T.'
        11-07-2020, 03:29 AM
        by Piptrees
        “To arrange for the Property to be professionally cleaned on the termination on the
        tenancy and pay for any cleaning services that may be required to reinstate the Property to
        the same order in which it was provided at the commencement of the tenancy including
        the cleaning of...
        11-07-2020, 02:23 AM
      Working...
      X