Covid and Self-employed tenant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Covid and Self-employed tenant

I have a tenant who is a single mother, but works part-time as a cleaner (self-employed). She is reliant on Universal Credit. She has told me, she won't be able to pay the rent in full, as the company she works for don't need her cleaning services. I don't know where we stand. As the Government has n't been clear on people who are self-employed.....

Ask if she can pay half, IIWY. Make it clear that she'll have to pay 125% when she's back in work to catch up. (None of this in writing.)

Comment

Your tenants UC should increase if her self employed income has dropped (assuming she was earning enough for her UC payments not to be full and depending on the LHA rate compared to the rent you charge).

Not sure if you could ask your tenant how much UC they will receive and then come to an agreement based on that.

Comment

Tell her to pay what she can and the arrears will be due when the crisis is over. Be flexible and understanding, reassure her she will not lose her home, but that rent will need to be paid eventually.

As stated above, she should get an increase in benefits so that should help, and when we are back to normal you can work out a payment plan for the arrears or choose to write it off if you wish.

Tenants need to take a responsible attitude to the situation and work with LLs not just throw up their hands in a 'Woe is me' way - the Govt has announce lots of help for individuals and businesses but nothing for LLs.

We all need to work together through this. At the end we will all remember who helped us and who didn't so Be Kind

Comment

Originally posted by jpucng62 View Post
          Tell her to pay what she can and the arrears will be due when the crisis is over. Be flexible and understanding, reassure her she will not lose her home, but that rent will need to be paid eventually.

As stated above, she should get an increase in benefits so that should help, and when we are back to normal you can work out a payment plan for the arrears or choose to write it off if you wish.

Tenants need to take a responsible attitude to the situation and work with LLs not just throw up their hands in a 'Woe is me' way - the Govt has announce lots of help for individuals and businesses but nothing for LLs.

We all need to work together through this. At the end we will all remember who helped us and who didn't so Be Kind
          This is the key....roll with the punches. Seems like so many landlords just don’t get it

Comment

Originally posted by patrick27 View Post
            This is the key....roll with the punches. Seems like so many landlords just don’t get it
            I think you have to consider the position of the landlord - some of them won't be able to "roll with the punches".

Landlords aren't generally self-employed, and losing income for a landlord can be as difficult as losing income for anyone else.
            And I'm not seeing any government support being discussed for landlords, other than mortgage holidays.
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I think some landlords may not realise just how difficult things are at present for tenants who are self employed. If deposits have been taken as security for the covenants of the tenancy, one could give notice that these are been drawn on. The tenant may not have any such reserve.

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
                Ask if she can pay half, IIWY. Make it clear that she'll have to pay 125% when she's back in work to catch up. (None of this in writing.)
                No.
                Do not unilaterally suggest anything.

Explore the position with her, find out what she can afford (may be 80%) and explore her options for more benefits and ensure she applies; she might then be able to pay it all.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X