Black mold and condensation issues

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Black mold and condensation issues

    Hi all

    I went round to my property let last week and shocked to see the walls dripping with condensation, standing water on window sills and black mold everywhere!

    Ive told the tenants that Im concerned for their health as they are breathing in mold spores. Im not quite sure how to play this situation. They are reasonable people, but young. Ive told them they should put the heating on, open the windows, dry washing outside, spray the mold with bleech and wipe off. But I dont think theyre going to do any of that.

    Im just looking for some advice/guidance from people on here who are much more experienced/knowledgeable than myself.

    Thanks









    #2
    What's the ventilation in the property like (vents in the bathroom, kitchen etc)?

    It might be something that improves when things get warmer, but I'd write and express your concerns, not only for their health, but it's damaging the paint and walls.
    Which will cost them money at some point.

    Suggest all the things you have, plus suggest a dehumidifier or, even, two.
    You can't control their lifestyle, but they might simply not appreciate what they're doing to themselves.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

    Comment


      #3
      And they'll be the first to complain about slumlord's damp flat.

      Not much you can do , try and make sure double glazing has trickle vents and install humidistat extractors in bath & kitchen (but sadly isolation legislation means they can turn them off)

      section 21 and find better tenants.....

      Comment


        #4
        Thanks for your comments.

        Windows have trickle vents (which theyve closed), bathroom has extractor fan (which they say they turn on when having showers). Ive offered them a couple of old dehumidifiers which they turned down.

        Im hoping - when the weather gets warmer - theyll start opening windows. They have 6 months left on tenancy which I probably wont renew.

        If you were me what would you do? Its a tricky position. I obviously dont want to fall out with them, and I want them to be comfortable and happy there. But at the same time I want them to keep the moisture down and look after the place!

        Should I say that - based on what Ive seen - theyre at risk of losing their deposit because Ill need to deep clean and redecorate the place? Im mindful that I dont know where I legally stand.

        The slight complicating factor is the place wasnt in 'tip-top' condition when they moved in. But it was certainly in much better condition that what it is now!!






        Comment


          #5
          My flats have the trickle vent shutters confiscated, and the fan switches have been re-wired not to work. You just put both sets of wires on the same side of the switch, so operating the switch makes no difference. All my flats have tumble driers/ washer driers, and also I put some labels on bedroom windows saying:

          To avoid mould: Open window & door for 30 minutes daily, Do not dry clothes indoors, Do not put furniture against exterior wall
          Seems to do the trick.

          Comment


            #6
            You need to write to them with full and frank advice about this problem and tell them you will re-inspect in one month. Then follow through and repeat. I would also arrange an assessment from a damp expert. You need to cover yourself in case they go to the council.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by JK0 View Post
              You just put both sets of wires on the same side of the switch, so operating the switch makes no difference.
              That sounds like a breach of wiring regulations and a danger to any electrician working on the fan.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by MdeB View Post

                That sounds like a breach of wiring regulations and a danger to any electrician working on the fan.
                Because he won't notice it still running, or the led still on?

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by JK0 View Post

                  Because he won't notice it still running, or the led still on?
                  Because the isolation switch is intended to isolate as a safety feature.

                  Possibly a HHSRS failure.

                  Comment

                  Latest Activity

                  Collapse

                  Working...
                  X