Recovering costs of damage from lodger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recovering costs of damage from lodger

I had a lodger evicted from my property. During his stay he created damage which he admitted to, but now refusing to pay for. I do not hold any deposit sadly. The lodger still have their belongings in the flat. Can I withhold their possessions until they pay for the damage?

Did you perform an inventory before the tenancy and after the tenancy, you can not withhold their goods (depends upon the terms of the agreement in regards to property left after they leave), you should arrange a date and time which is suitable for both parties so that it can be collected. If you want to claim for the damages you will need to take the person to the court via the small claims (depending on the amount you are claiming).

Comment

Sadly even with a deposit there's no a lot you can do- I know many in similar situations who did have inventories & deposits. Lodgers have the ability to make things up & 'shop' live-in landlords to all authorities they can find & tie you up for months or years in investigations. Regardless of being innocent, the time & money lost dealing with these investigations can and often does end up higher than the cost of the original damage.

We need a petition for some laws that help protect landlords.....

Comment

Thank you for your input on the topic. I don’t have an inventory, but the flat was completely renovated and the work was completed a week before the lodger moved in, so I have proof that everything was brand new when they moved in. Three weeks later the lodger got evicted and admitted causing the damage in writing. They offered to remedy the situation, but it hasn’t resolved the problem. I have photographic evidence of damage and the stages before and after the cleaning showing the issue hasn’t been resolved. A few weeks old surface showing a very obvious damage. I’m pursuing complete replacement to reinstate the original state. Hoping that invoices and photos plus his statement admitting culpability will be enough to get the court to award damages. Any experience with this process would be appreciated. (Length of process, likelihood of outcome, means of remedy, etc) Thanks for any advice.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X