Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant complaining about boiler controls

Good afternoon all.

One of my tenants in a new property I have acquired is complaining that the boiler has no controls. So when they turn the boiler on for hot water, the heating comes on too. The agents are recommending us to change the whole boiler system to a combi boiler which cost around 2.7k!!. Is there any way around this? We got our engineer in and he said he MIGHT be able to install a control panel to the boiler (for around 3-500) but the boiler is around 20-25 years old.

If this doesn't work would it be an option to pay the tenant back 30-50pounds or so for the compensation of their higher gas bills? just for a month or 2 while everything settles. If I pay for a new boiler it's going to eat in to a few months of my mortgage payments.

Can't the just turn the radiators off when they don't want the heating on?

Comment

Find a different plumber, an older one who is used to working with conventional boilers. It's perfectly possible and should be a good deal less than your quote.

Comment

Originally posted by DPT57 View Post
        Can't the just turn the radiators off when they don't want the heating on?
        they can, but our agents seem pushy on changing the boiler. What's the worst they can do if we decide not to change it? they have hot water and heating so I don't see why they cannot understand our stance on this.

Comment

This isn't the same tenant who is having the boiler replaced today, is it?

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
            This isn't the same tenant who is having the boiler replaced today, is it?
            This one is different. Not had much luck with boilers recently.

Comment

Is there no TRV’s on the radiators?
              Is fitting just a control panel going to be enough to give separate hot water and central heating? I’m assuming you have a copper cylinder to store hot water for the hot taps which is heated by either a back boiler behind a gas fire or a wall mounted boiler?
              Would the hot water and C/H not have to be separated with zone valves activated by separate cylinder and room thermostats? If the price you have been quoted is just for a control panel then I don’t see how it can control anything but if it also includes the supplying, wiring in and plumbing in of zone valves and stats then it’s not a bad price.
              If you want to fit a combi boiler but don’t want to pay out until things have settled down then explain this to tenants and do what you suggested and give them a one off generous payment that will more than cover their extra expense for now.
              You would be better off joining some sort of DIY forum with a plumbing sub forum to ask more about the options to add a control system to your current boiler and what sort of price you should be paying to have it done.

Comment

The system may just be old enough to not have required separate controls, but any replacement in the last 18 to 20, or more, years would have been illegal without them. I think we can safely assume that the system pre-dates the requirement for TRVs.

What I suspect they have is a thermostatic valve on the cylinder. My original system had that, but it also had a gravity hot water circuit, and those valves really need a pumped system, or they clog up.

Comment

How can we offer an opinion without knowing the current installlation?
                  A 20 yo boiler may be beyond repair.

Comment

Tell them you'll make the 'improvements' but there will have to be a substantial rent increase.

Comment

We're just begging to be regulated into obscurity aren't we.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousLandlord View Post

they can, but our agents seem pushy on changing the boiler. What's the worst they can do if we decide not to change it? they have hot water and heating so I don't see why they cannot understand our stance on this.
                        And is the agent offering to get the work done by any chance?

Comment

Comment

BTL investor,

I will join a DIY forum too then for more opinions. Yes we have a hot water cylinder in one of the bedrooms. I've just googled TRV and we don't have those but our engineer said they can be adjusted from the radiators.
                            What would a generous payment be in your eyes?

Comment

Originally posted by mariner View Post
                              This is the current boiler Potteron Flamingo 50S installed in a cupboard on the ground floor with a vent leading out through the chimney, that is why a replacement costs so much, the location needs to be changed.

We're very hesitant as everything works fine, so they're not left without hot water or heating.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Dont have access to a printer
                                by AndrewDod
                                The raft of recent legislation pretty much requires that you print a planet destroying amount of paper (and some parts of it, such as the rather wonderful "How to rent" booklet are designed so as to require an entire ink cartridge worth of ink per page).

Strangely enough the...
                                30-05-2020, 02:24 AM
                              • Dont have access to a printer
                                by jtufty
                                Hi,

I have a new tenant moving in. Ive got the contract and Condition Report ready to go but I dont have access to a printer. Is it enough for me to email these to the tenant and ask them in writing to respond theyre happy with it all?

Thanks...
                                28-05-2020, 06:19 AM
                              • Reply to Tenants struggling to pay rent...payment plan or move them on?
                                by Perce
                                In what ways can small claims court impact S21 or S8 ? Does anybody has experienced?...
                                29-05-2020, 22:38 PM
                              • Tenants struggling to pay rent...payment plan or move them on?
                                by Mavis808
                                I have a Tenant Couple who have informed me this week that they can not afford the rent this month. Naturally they have blamed this on the Coronavirus however they have paid their rent 1 week late often, sometimes longer so have struggled in the past.

I kindly said I would help with a payment...
                                24-05-2020, 18:20 PM
                              • S21 notice
                                by Uklondoner
                                My tenant is on rolling contract. Since 18/04 he has not paid the rent only paid a quarter of the owed rent recently. I am ready to serve him s21. Because he is hard to talk to and being dishonest to me. Does the s21 include the time for eviction? You might say 3moths but I will say 2 weeks whatso...
                                29-05-2020, 21:52 PM
                              • Reply to Section 21
                                by Perce
                                It is not clear yet what is going to happen with evictions. The ban may be extended till the end of the year. It is becoming almost impossible to evict a tenant. The government will make a decision shortly....
                                29-05-2020, 20:24 PM
                              • Section 21
                                by zrux
                                Hi

My tenant was struggling to pay rent, they wanted to move to council house. And asked me to serve notice.
                                I served them the section 21 Notice on 28Apr2020 and gave them 4 months to vacate the property on 31-Aug

Since then the tenant says he doesn't want to move out...
                                28-05-2020, 13:18 PM
                              • Reply to Section 21
                                by MdeB
                                Yes for S8G8, but for the discretionary grounds it is for the LL to persuade the judge....
                                29-05-2020, 19:56 PM
                              • Reply to Aiming to get a CCJ on ex tenant
                                by Stew
                                I understand you are upset but chase the person named on the lease, if they are together still it will impact the both of them so chasing for the CCJ on the named tenant will still impact the one not named as it will carry forward with them if they don't pay right away and when they try and rent again...
                                29-05-2020, 18:55 PM
                              • Aiming to get a CCJ on ex tenant
                                by MadLL
                                Apologies if I have posted this before, but I cannot find my original post, if I did indeed post!
                                I rented my property to a tenant. I knew at the start of the tenancy that the partner planned to move in at a later date, although the tenant denied the partner ever moved in as I expect they did...
                                29-05-2020, 17:30 PM
                              Working...
                              X