Re-letting before tenant leaves; doubts re new tenant

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-letting before tenant leaves; doubts re new tenant

Ok, House is being marketed for rental, there is a month to go until the property is vacated by the current tenant (he/she has been a nightmare) anyway I had the letting agents on the phone tonight saying they had been in email correspondance with a prospective tenant.

The prospective tenant sold up and left the UK about a year ago but wants to come back, he/she has never seen the property but has made a serious offer to rent the property.

1. The tenant is moving back to the UK
    2. Has a enough money to live on for a year but plans to go back to work
    3. Has offered to pay 6 months in advance
    4. Has never physically seen inside the property

Any advice greatly appreciated

As a side issue, I have had a tenant who has been a tenant from hell (court case n all) he/she has said that I am not allowed to end her tenancy to install different tenants?????

What is your question?

Comment

Originally posted by caroline7758 View Post
      What is your question?
      Basically, does the panel think I should call the agents and say OK?, should I be worried about accepting 6 months rent in advance?, should I ask for 6 months in advance?, should I be concerned that the prospective tenant has never seen the property?

any other things I haven't thought of or be aware of

Comment

As long as they reference OK, then 6 months in advance is about as good as you will ever get!!
        Right into the AST that they then start to pay monthly rent from month 4 ( Hence you will always have 2 months in hand ) and you have just about covered all the bases you can.

Comment

When you say there is a month to go before the property is vacated do you mean that this is when the warrant of possession is due to be executed or when your notice or the tenants notice runs out?

Wasn't quite sure from your post

If you are unsure about what to do seek professional Legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by House View Post
            When you say there is a month to go before the property is vacated do you mean that this is when the warrant of possession is due to be executed or when your notice or the tenants notice runs out?

Wasn't quite sure from your post

A S21b notice was served several months ago, AST expires in mid may

Comment

Originally posted by Colincbayley View Post
              As long as they reference OK, then 6 months in advance is about as good as you will ever get!!
              Right into the AST that they then start to pay monthly rent from month 4 ( Hence you will always have 2 months in hand ) and you have just about covered all the bases you can.

So are you saying I should agree to a 6 month AST and put it into the AST that the tenant should always remain 2 months in advance?.

Comment

If you're saying she's a nightmare don't expect her to go just because her sec 21b has expired!

If you are unsure about what to do seek professional Legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by House View Post
                  If you're saying she's a nightmare don't expect her to go just because her sec 21b has expired!

Sadly I agree

Comment

I would also go with a uk based guarantor who would be referenced via the same method as the tenant. Though your agent should be able to advise on guarantor deeds. Just encase the tenant decides to skip off once the tenancy has ended leaving unpaid bills / damage or decides to leave mid tenancy without notice.
                    Benjamin Perry

Comment

Originally posted by Ben.online-lettings View Post
                      I would also go with a uk based guarantor who would be referenced via the same method as the tenant. Though your agent should be able to advise on guarantor deeds. Just encase the tenant decides to skip off once the tenancy has ended leaving unpaid bills / damage or decides to leave mid tenancy without notice.

The prospective tenant is willing to provide a guarantor, two questions follow on though.

Is it true that having guarantors are waste of time?, I thought it was impossible to succesfully enfore guarantors to pay up?

Comment

It would probably be a long winding road but you should be able to get a charge on their property providing you went about it the right way, the downside is that you may have a long time to wait before you see your money. Providing they have property that is.
                        I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

Originally posted by porridge View Post
                          Ok, House is being marketed for rental, there is a month to go until the property is vacated by the current tenant (he/she has been a nightmare) anyway I had the letting agents on the phone tonight saying they had been in email correspondance with a prospective tenant.

The prospective tenant sold up and left the UK about a year ago but wants to come back, he/she has never seen the property but has made a serious offer to rent the property.

1. The tenant is moving back to the UK
                          2. Has a enough money to live on for a year but plans to go back to work
                          3. Has offered to pay 6 months in advance
                          4. Has never physically seen inside the property

Any advice greatly appreciated

As a side issue, I have had a tenant who has been a tenant from hell (court case n all) he/she has said that I am not allowed to end her tenancy to install different tenants?????
                          I would advise that you speak to the prospective tenant, on the phone, personally, not only to ensure that they are not coming from Nigeria, Ivory Coast et al and possibly trying to pull a common scam on you, but also to gauge if they are genuine. Just have a chat.

Has the prospective tenant seen any inside pictures of the property?
                          I would also ask them why they are unable to see the property before they agree to the tenancy and also wait and see if they enquire if you can send them some photos of the inside of the property.

I would be concerned about someone willing to come and live in a property, for a year, paying lots of money up front to a landlord they have never met and also, agreeing to live in a property that they have never seen and without knowing if the property suites them, in all the ways people need to know, etc.

There could be genuine reasons for the above, but you have to consider illegal and dark reasons/motives too.

Comment

Originally posted by porridge View Post
                            Sadly I agree
                            So, it's quite likely to be months yet before you get possession of the property - and at this point you can't predict even to within a month how long it will be - so I'd suggest it's pretty pointless worrying about a specific applicant at this stage; it's far too early.

Indeed, if the applicant is still apparently keen to throw 6 months's rent at you under these circumstances, that would to me greatly increase the likelihood that there's something fishy about him.

Comment

Thanks for the last 2 posts warning me that there maybe something quite not right here, frankly I would rather have a void period than have a complete nightmare on my hands.

The prospective tenant is currerntly living in Asia at the moment and is due back in the UK very soon, they have viewed a c few properties online and have plumped for mine, the agents have copied and pasted the emails to me.

"So, it's quite likely to be months yet before you get possession of the property - and at this point you can't predict even to within a month how long it will be - so I'd suggest it's pretty pointless worrying about a specific applicant at this stage; it's far too early."

You can never predict any tenancy coming to end satisfactorily, but the 2 months prior to the tenancy ending are there to try and avoid void periods, surely its prudent to have a new tenant lined up?

"There could be genuine reasons for the above, but you have to consider illegal and dark reasons/motives too."

I am !, which is why I am seeking opinions on here

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Long Term Tenant - how to protect both LL and Tenant
                                Paul4321
                                Hi All,

I'm hoping for a little guidance. I'll almost certainly be following up with some professional advice but hopefully some folks here will have been in a similar situation and can offer some advice. I have done a quick search but not found anything obvious.

I already...
                                20-07-2017, 10:07 AM
                              • Reply to Long Term Tenant - how to protect both LL and Tenant
                                wfd_property
                                200 miles. Work needing doing? Tenant wanting 10 years? Why on earth doesn't he aspire to buy a place?

Flip it in a local auction. Use the money to buy something local to you and let to a stranger for 6 months....
                                24-07-2017, 22:40 PM
                              • Help re flatsharing legal position!
                                CatherineCarr
                                Hello, I moved into a friend's flat when she moved out of London last year. It was agreed that I would pay market rate, would not need to pay a deposit, be able to bring various items into the flat, work from home, have a certain amount of storage etc.etc. I was also to share with my friend's then...
                                24-07-2017, 13:18 PM
                              • Reply to Help re flatsharing legal position!
                                Wright76
                                I think your friend Emma sounds like a bit of a plonker to be honest and I'd let her get on and deal with the problematic tenant herself.

Any landlord that allows a tenant to withhold rent and then support them in such a way sadly deserves what's coming.

Unfortunately for...
                                24-07-2017, 22:36 PM
                              • Structuring a deal - Purchase Option/Overage Agreement?
                                pdmalik
                                Hello,

There is a derelict property with good potential in my area. The owner tried to sell it in a local auction few years back and did not get what he wanted (actually did but got greedy). Now he can even sell it for cheaper than what he was getting in the auction. Property has good potential...
                                23-07-2017, 16:52 PM
                              • Reply to Structuring a deal - Purchase Option/Overage Agreement?
                                wfd_property
                                So you are wanting to act as the owners agent, submit the outline planning agreement, represent the property at the national auction?

Surely he simply signs to confirm agreed disbursements and your commission percentage?

Are you able to say which university city this is?...
                                24-07-2017, 22:25 PM
                              • Tenants want to buy, advice needed
                                Manchesterlandlord
                                hi there

had tenants in a property for 4 years. Looking at selling the property for various reasons and they are interested in buying but need more time to get a deposit together. Has anyone ever set up a deal like the rent to buy schemes you used to get with new builds?

t...
                                24-07-2017, 19:54 PM
                              • Reply to Tenants want to buy, advice needed
                                wfd_property
                                Do they have a mortgage in principle? Will they show you bank statements / letters from parents to confirm that deposit is almost there?...
                                24-07-2017, 22:21 PM
                              • Reply to Tenants want to buy, advice needed
                                KTC
                                "More time" - days, weeks, months, years?

Can you wait that time? How long would it take you to evict to sell with vacant possession? How much of a possible hit would you need to take to sell with tenant in place?
                                24-07-2017, 21:44 PM
                              • Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
                                Jcg76
                                I have a leasehold studio flat with a garden in London that I rent out to tenants.
                                Recently, the freeholder gave me three days notice that he was extending part of the building my flat is joined to and he would need to put scaffolding on my flat roof and in my garden. I immediately objected saying...
                                24-07-2017, 21:20 PM
                              Working...
                              X