Deny access to flat temporarily, due to Coronavirus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• straw4
    replied
    Well if the freeholders don't want to find a "convenient" time, let's just abide by their precious schedules, nevermind clogging the NHS intensive care units and having the lucky ones posting videos like this one, right?
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-shared-online

Leave a comment:

• leaseholder64
    replied
    A structural problem in a flat is likely to be the freeholder's responsibility, and they are not going to want to find a time that is convenient for every single leaseholder and their tenants.

If you are that concerned about secondary health problems, you are not talking about 3 months, but rather until an effective vaccine is rolled out, and there may be some risks even with the vaccine.

Leave a comment:

• mariner
    replied
    The LL could seek a Court Order allowing access, or he just may wait until you leave.

Leave a comment:

• straw4
    replied
    ash72,

Thanks- It makes sense, but I guess I would have to perform some sort of anti-viral clean-up of all areas the building contractors have touched, just to be on the safe side.

Leave a comment:

• royw
    replied
    Or just tell him you have a health condition that puts you in a high risk group so you won't let anyone in until the crisis is over.

Leave a comment:

• ash72
    replied
    If you have the virus, inform the LL and I'm sure they will re-arrange unless they want to get it themselves. If you don't have it but still worried about it, why don't you allow access and go into another room while the survey is being conducted and then when it is completed you can return (I would ask them to wash their hands prior to conducting the survey within the property.

Leave a comment:

• straw4
    started a topic Deny access to flat temporarily, due to Coronavirus?

Deny access to flat temporarily, due to Coronavirus?

Hi,

I am a tenant and would like to know what my rights are in the current climate of Covid-19, where people are asked to be prudent and exercise social distancing.
    In some countries, this has not been adhered to and has led to full blown lockdowns. However, there is no foreseeable lockdown in the UK.

There is a long-standing structural issue with the building where my flat is (in London), and the landlord is requesting access to the flat for a surveyor.
    I have to say, this is about an issue ongoing for over 10 years, and I have been very accomodating over the years, so I do not see the urgency now to get it resolved ASAP.

The timing of this just seems absurd...
    My question is, can I refuse access for a month or two, until the situation improves?
    Even if I am a young person, looking at the recovered cases of people with Coronavirus, there is some risk of lung damage, so it all seems a bit unsafe to me, and to add insult to injury, this is for no good reason given the issue has been outstanding for so long...

But unless there is some statute, or health and safety law I can refer to, it may be difficult to flat out deny access.
    Any advice on this matter?

Thanks,
    John

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X