Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unregistered landlord

Hey everyone, I recently moved to Bristol
    took on a flatshare, asked to move within a week due to things being stolen, feeling unsafe in the flat and it just not being to the standard I expected.
    When I asked to leave the landlord said it's okay and I'll get my deposit back, he has now changed his mind.
    I've found out neither he nor the property are registered and that my deposit was not lodged within a scheme.
    Do you suggest I take legal action?
    And if so how would I go about

Also I signed an agreement, unsure if it's legally binding due to him and the property being unregistered, was also told if I feel genuinely unsafe in the property I have the right to leave, could anyone confirm this?

Comment

Please complete and paste https://forums.landlordzone.co.uk/fo...om-new-posters.

Comment

Where is the property?
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Hey, so the property is in Bristol (fishponds area)
          i moved in on the 22nd of last month, the landlord lives with me. I have been in touch with the council and they say they have no information on him, also there's no Information on the deposit.
          All of which is leading me to believe it's an illegal tenancy.
          Any ideas if I'm legally bound to pay the contract?
          Or if he has any right to keep my deposit

Comment

Unless a lot more people than you and the landlord live there, there's no need for the landlord or the property to be registered.

If you rent a room and share some space with your landlord, there's no need for the landlord to register your deposit, because you're almost certainly a lodger (and not a tenant).

There's nothing about the arrangement you've described that sounds in the slightest bit "illegal".
            In fact, there are government schemes to encourage people to let rooms in their home.

So what you can do and what you're committed to depends on what you've agreed with the landlord.
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

This landlord will have costs associated with your unexpected departure so even if you persuade them to do the right thing, that will still involve deductions from your deposit that may not leave you with much if anything of a refund.

Comment

Thank you for the advice, was unsure as the laws are very different in Scotland where I am from.
                there are 8 tennants across 5 rooms, does this change things at all?

I'm not looking for a payout from him just to be able to leave the room without losing money as I am having items stolen and I simply just feel unsafe in the flat.

Comment

Yes, that would change things. It means the property should be a licensed HMO. Are you certain that it's not licensed? If so, you should report it to the local authority along with your health and safety concerns.

Comment

I have done that now.
                    thank you for the advice everyone

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                    X