CV19 is it ok to ask Ts to give evidence that they can't get a loan/cr to cover rent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CV19 is it ok to ask Ts to give evidence that they can't get a loan/cr to cover rent?

As the title.

No

you cannot ask a tenant to enter into a contract, so this cannot ask them to get a loan, nor prove that they cannot get one.

Comment

Yes.

It's the fair thing to do before taking things further and IIRC it's part of the pre action protocol.

Comment

"Is it ok to ask Ts to give evidence that they can't get a loan/cr to cover rent?" before doing what?

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Yes you can ask anything you like, but how can they prove a negative ?

Comment

Having in the past worked in the financial field i am wondering which lender would agree to such a loan given the tenant will be asking for it due to either being sacked etc due to the virus and has no income coming in plus unlike a car loan etc where there is a certain amount of security this is totally unsecured and it has a high chance of not being paid back...... a brave lender indeed would take that on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hudson01 View Post
              Having in the past worked in the financial field
              i am wondering which lender would agree to such a loan given the tenant will be asking for it due to either being sacked etc due to the virus
              Isn't that why Berlingogirl is asking? As proof that they are genuinely in difficulty and not just after a free jolly-up.

Comment

Also, wouldn't an unsuccessful loan application make their credit rating even worse?

This could cause further hardship down the line so a savvy tenant would be unwilling to do such a thing.

Comment

Sure, anyone can always ask anything of anyone.

T may also like to ask L if they can't just default on their mortgage, put their house up for sale at auction, or surrender their title deeds to aid the National Effort.

It's another matter whether a question posed might be considered reasonable, or whether a polite answer is due.

Comment

I had 3 interest free credit cards a while back. Couldn't tenants do that?

Comment

There is comprehensive advice on RLA on the coronavirus forum. They are writing a template letter which landlords will be able to send to tenants. The letter will have agency's contact info the tenant can contact for help.

Comment

Originally posted by hamilton View Post
                        T may also like to ask L if they can't just default on their mortgage, put their house up for sale at auction, or surrender their title deeds to aid the National Effort.
                        Losing one's home doesn't necessarily aid in the national effort, it detracts from it.

I don't think it's reasonable to ask any individual to give up their home & become homeless for any reason.

Comment

The Chancellor will need a lot of help to fund today's financial measures. And if some landlords will offer to donate their property portfolios to the nation in this time of crisis, then I for one will applaud them as selfless, virtuous, and true patriots!

How about it, OP?

Comment

Then you'd have to pay OP's homelessness costs, benefit, extra NHS bills associated with being homeless & council house..... How about it?

Comment

It would be "One person, one property." So OP would still have their own home. Our Nation would have the rest!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X