Boris banning tenant evictions - My Dilemma (warning contains a rant)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agree with the above.
    I'm just selfishly relieved I'm not directly footing all the bill as some of the loopier factions were proposing.

Comment

Originally posted by Boab View Post
      My only income while I care for my elderly disabled dad has gone.
      It may not be alot, but might at least help, can you not claim Carers Allowance

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...nce-claim-form

I get no help from HMRC of course who continue to charge full council tax and are able to double it I hear if it stays empty ... I can't move back in because i have no income to pay running costs.
      Local Council charges Council Tax, but can't you move in and claim Coucil Tax Reduction (if you quailfy based on your Council's local scheme. The Carers Allowance, although not a great amount, might help alleviate the financial costs a little whilst you are selling.

Edited to add: might be difficult to find, but you could find a temp lodger to take in as well. Although, the fact you plan on selling might make it a little difficult.

I have it on the market but this corona virus means that's highly unlikely
      I have a friend that works as an estate agent who said it hasn't stopped them selling properties yet. If it comes down to closing they can work from home and do virtual tours. Might be a little more difficult to sell, but I don't think it will stop selling completely. Obviously depends on the area I suppose.

Comment

I have it on the market but this corona virus means that's highly unlikely.
        Is it priced right? Obviously the asking price needs to reflect the risk involved in making a purchase at this point of time as potential buyers are likely to be worried about the trajectory of house prices in the short-medium term.

Comment

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/c...on-for-renters
          Thunderbirds are go

Comment

Although I understand the logic of ensuring landlords can extend their mortgage commitments whilst they potentially receive no rent the Government seems to have missed that providing housing isn't a hobby but a business. I don't rent property purely to support my tenants , I do it to provide an income , no rent equals no income. This eviction ban will no doubt be seized upon by some tenants as an opportunity to avoid paying rent irrespective of their financial position for the next three months. Any tenants already looking to defer rent payments are effectively stating they have no savings , and no safety net , if they can't afford the rent now the chance of them overpaying at some point in the future to pay back arrears I think will be very challenging.

Comment

We’re already in a sticky situation with our tenants. S21 issued end Jan, so they were actually due to vacate next week. Had email, via Agents, from Housing Team stating that we shouldn’t evict them due to the Coronavirus. However, they haven’t defaulted because the Coronavirus....they stopped paying rent in Jan!!! They’ve had two months to find somewhere else to live. I’d love to sympathise but I now have two mortgages to pay whilst they get to sit back and not pay a penny!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X