Corona Virus - tenant announcing no payments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by patrick27 View Post
    Sounds to me like every private tenant has just been given the green light to not pay rent if they wish regardless of their financial situation!

looks like we getting shafted by the government yet again 😬
    Not at all - see my post at #11 above.

PS, The government will shaft us anytime that they think they will get away with it.
    But that's the government not your tenant.

Comment

Ref: #11

I’ve already had the run around with UC and that was before any virus!

Comment

Originally posted by patrick27 View Post
        I’ve already had the run around with UC and that was before any virus!
        Ah well, that's another issue.

With everyone self isolating or being laid off work and being told to claim SSP or UC, and DWP staff also self isolating, or stopping at home to look after the kids who are not at school, then the UC computer and remaining staff are going to have a meltdown trying to process all the new claims.

As part of a UC claim you are supposed to go to the Jobcentre to verify your ID - err, the jobcentres are shutting because of C-19 so that security measure no longer applies, leaving the system wide open to fraudulent claims (There were plenty even with the ID checks).

Comment

I have a double dilemma - my tenant is an overseas student (Saudi) has paid up to 20 May (6 month AST), her uni has now closed and she wants to return home (apparently Embassy advice) , she has asked if she can have money refund if she vacates early. I sympathise with her situation, I know I am not legally obligated to give refund. On the flip side of this I pay my student son's rent and his uni has now closed, his tenancy is till July but I am planning on collecting him at Easter, should I be asking his landlord to end the tenancy?? Your comments welcomed..

Comment

Originally posted by FLL View Post
            I have a double dilemma
            On the first, say you'll consider a partial refund once you have possession depending on the state of the property.
            On the second, no harm in asking.

Comment

Originally posted by FLL View Post
              I have a double dilemma - my tenant is an overseas student (Saudi) has paid up to 20 May (6 month AST), her uni has now closed and she wants to return home (apparently Embassy advice) , she has asked if she can have money refund if she vacates early. I sympathise with her situation, I know I am not legally obligated to give refund. On the flip side of this I pay my student son's rent and his uni has now closed, his tenancy is till July but I am planning on collecting him at Easter, should I be asking his landlord to end the tenancy?? Your comments welcomed..
              I have a Saudi student tenant also. I believe the rent is (originally) paid by the Saudi government, so it's rather a cheek for your tenant to ask to be personally reimbursed.

Same with your son, really. He signed up for a year, so should honour that commitment.

Comment

Originally posted by boletus View Post

'Cos you've now got the green light for a 3 month deferred BTL mortgage, are you going to stop paying?
                Generally, it just means tenants might get another month if they go off the rails.

(the perception of rogue tenants who will exploit this is another matter)
                Difference being that a landlord cannot run off without paying their mortgage at the end of the day, but these new laws give the tenant the power & ability to run off after not paying their rent for 3 months. Which tenants have ever given you a genuine forwarding address or have you ever been able to contact to start court proceedings for an amount of money not covered by their deposit?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X