Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corona Virus - tenant announcing no payments

Hi
    I have 2 tenants on AST with a guarantor. One was a student at the point of signing a contract ( stupidly I have not looked at their full bank statement as they have only given me a summary..)
    Is this possible that they ( one or both) are in a receipt of a Housing beneift which covers the amount of rent , amongst other benefits linked to low income/ or unemployment and yet they may stop paying rent using coronavirus as a reason? Your opinions much appreaciated!

I think I would be writing to the guarantor. Presumably guarantor has the means to pay the rent, or you would not have accepted them?

Comment

Thanks for reply. Guarantor met the affordability criteria at the time. But coming back to my point , is it possible for a tenant to be in receipt of the benefits I have mentioned ( without me knowing) yet, refuse to pay ?

Comment

Yes, of course. It happens all the time.

Though frankly, it sounds very early for anyone not to have a penny left. Sounds like they are taking the Mick to me. Write to the guarantor, (with paper & envelopes).

Comment

Yes, Guarantor is the next to tackle . I am sure they have prepared this case as well.
          This is fundamentaly wrong for a goverment to announce rent payment holidays for renters if they are still paying them Housing Benefit to cover the rent !! Surely this should be verified before a payment holiday agreed by a landlord!!! Talking about benefit fraud legalised!

Comment

The government hasn't announced rent payment holidays (yet). They can't unless they own the house. These people are ********** but I'm sure there'll be others genuinely unable to pay. There seem to be more employees sent home on unpaid leave.

Comment

No detail has been given from the government on when and under what conditions they will pay rent. I can bet it won't be a simple hand out.
              Get on to the Guarantor - I assume they are a property owner? G probably may not know the Tenants have pulled this stunt.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

They do sound like the '' A '' Typical Chancers !!! Lets see what the govt say and go from there.

Comment

Have the tenants actually said anything, and if so what specifically?
                  When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                  Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

If someone is a student and in receipt of a student loan, then can't claim housing benefit? (I could be wrong). It is unclear, as some colleges have closed, so will people get their student loan payment for the next term?

You can repent in leisure.

You are going to have to rely on what they tell you (which may be lies). Ask for them for proof. First get your facts straight. They may have a genuine problem or they may be in receipt of benefit and not told you. Or they may be trying it on. The Government has n't stopped housing benefit. They may have spent the rent money on buying dried pasta.

Comment

Originally posted by Interlaken View Post
                      No detail has been given from the government on when and under what conditions they will pay rent. I can bet it won't be a simple hand out.
                      They have said this, in a roundabout way.

If laid off because of Covid 19 then you can claim UC, which includes a Housing Element for rent - but it only pays LHA if it's a private rental.

PS. Nobody can make a new claim for Housing Benefit, (except in a few special circumstances).

Comment

Flashback1966,

My son's Uni has closed. Cardiff. Teaching will continue via online lectures etc. Rent will still have to be paid. It's the Student's choice if they come home or not. I'm picking my son up Friday complete with all his kit.

Comment

My son's uni is still open but lectures are mostly online (Preston), but he has to go into the library to access the site. I'm getting ready to collect him at short notice should I need to. He's in his last year so I'm hoping he can finish the course.

Comment

Sounds to me like every private tenant has just been given the green light to not pay rent if they wish regardless of their financial situation!

looks like we getting shafted by the government yet again 😬

Comment

Originally posted by patrick27 View Post
                              Sounds to me like every private tenant has just been given the green light to not pay rent if they wish regardless of their financial situation!
                              'Cos you've now got the green light for a 3 month deferred BTL mortgage, are you going to stop paying?
                              Generally, it just means tenants might get another month if they go off the rails.

(the perception of rogue tenants who will exploit this is another matter)

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to deposit deductions
                                by jpkeates
                                That clause is not longer enforceable and is no longer valid (Tenant Fees Act 2019 - which extended to existing tenancies on 1st June 2020).

The tenant remains liable to return the property in the same condition as it was let to them, less fair wear and tear.
                                If they don't, the landlord...
                                11-07-2020, 09:13 AM
                              • deposit deductions
                                by Piptrees
                                Tenancy agreement clearly states carpets and curtains should be professionally cleaned at the end of the tenancy. Outgoing tenant did not have these done so presumably I have the the right to deduct these costs from his deposit?
                                10-07-2020, 16:45 PM
                              • Reply to Tenant's NtQ
                                by jpkeates
                                Once the notice expires, the tenancy ends.
                                Which means that anyone in the property afterwards is, as far as I can determine, a trespasser.

So the owner should be able to lock them out and they should have no recourse against the owner.
                                As they have no right to be in the property,...
                                11-07-2020, 09:10 AM
                              • Tenant's NtQ
                                by HantsAgent
                                I have a tenant (an unmarried couple, joint and severally liable AST) in a property with some fairly substantial arrears.

The female partner has contacted me recently to state that she was largely unaware of the financial issues and has just discovered that her partner has been hiding numerous...
                                10-07-2020, 14:09 PM
                              • arrears and damage
                                by Dougie99
                                Hi, I have recently had 2 tenants leave Mother and daughter and 2 kids. They had been in arrears since Feb and left owing £2130.

I had £1040 deposit signed to me and they signed an agreement to pay arrears over 12 months, they moved out a day before they said they were going to and moved...
                                11-07-2020, 08:10 AM
                                by mind the gap
                                This is not an attack on OP, but in my experience the landlords who are most officious about demanding that tenants pay for professional cleaning at the end of the tenancy are the least likely to have ensured such cleaning happened prior to its commencement.

There really should be no...
                                11-07-2020, 07:09 AM
                              • Reply to Can LL seek compensation for unpaid rent if tenancy was ended over text message?
                                by mariner
                                IMO No. A SPT period can be valid for upto 3 years
                                11-07-2020, 03:51 AM
                              • Can LL seek compensation for unpaid rent if tenancy was ended over text message?
                                by youngnotgullible
                                Sorry if this isn't the right place to post. Desperate for any input on the situation I'm in.

I ended my tenancy early. On the 1st of April I sent my landlord a text message stating that I'd 'transfer [April's] rent' to him, and that it would be my last month spent in the room. I initially...
                                09-07-2020, 20:42 PM
                                by mariner
                                A Tenant only has to 'return Property in similar condition,less FW&T, as of start of T.'
                                11-07-2020, 03:29 AM
                                by Piptrees
                                “To arrange for the Property to be professionally cleaned on the termination on the
                                tenancy and pay for any cleaning services that may be required to reinstate the Property to
                                the same order in which it was provided at the commencement of the tenancy including
                                the cleaning of...
                                11-07-2020, 02:23 AM
                              Working...
                              X