Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letting Agent refuses to repay our deposit

Hi all!

Forgive me if I've missed this but did a quick search and found nothing.

Heres what I need your help on;

At the beginning of the month my girlfriend and I moved in together. She left her rented house (managed through an agency) on the 4th of April.

On the 5th we went back and cleaned the house the best we could. As we were doing this the landlord came round for a quick look and said that the agency would do a full inspection at a later date. He didnt mention anything about taking any money out of the bond for decorating etc.

Now a few months back when the landlord did an inspection he noticed there was damp in the hall, and that some of the wallpaper had been ripped off by my girlfriends young son. He said he understood this, and would get a builder in to sort out the damp. My girlfriend offered to redecorate if it was going to affect the bond, he said there was no need to.

When he came the day we had moved out we explained that we couldnt cut the grass as it had been too wet the week before we moved out. Again he understood.

Two weeks later, my girlfriend phones the letting agency to ask for the bond, to which they reply he wants £285 for a professional cleaner, a decorator, and a gardner. None of which he mentioned when we were leaving.

The landlord has apparently told the agency that he no longer wants them to manage the property, but wont answer any calls either from us or the agency.

We need this money to pay next months rent on our new house. There have so far been numerous calls to the agency but we are getting nowhere.

Any help guys?

Thanks

Jon from Manchester

Need a little bit more info in order to give a full reply.

Was there a full inventory when you moved into the property?
    Has the LL provided receipts for the works?
    When did you move into the property?
    Was the deposit protected?

Comment

I will have to ask my girlfriend for those things, she lived in the house for 3 years.

I will ask her as soon as I get chance.

He said the decorators were coming in the monday after she left... no receipts so far.

Short of going to find the landlord in person I'm a bit stuck!

Comment

When did her tenancy begin? Was her deposit covered by the new rules, in force from 6 April 2007, and duly protected?
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by woady View Post
          I will have to ask my girlfriend for those things, she lived in the house for 3 years.

I will ask her as soon as I get chance.

He said the decorators were coming in the monday after she left... no receipts so far.

Short of going to find the landlord in person I'm a bit stuck!
          Well if it was 3 yrs back, then you are outside the protect of the DPS.
          Have you an address for the LL where a summoms may be served?

Comment

Gawd knows but I'm stuck with the fact that I have to find £250 for next months rent, on top of other things I have to get sorted, like a phone line.

Comment

I'd leave the phone line for now and worry about the rent ( no point having a phone with no house to put it in! )

Comment

Good point.

We can manage it but it would be helpful if we had the money back.

C'est la vie I suppose. Will get back to you with the other bits.

Comment

She said there was an inventory when she moved in.

Comment

She said there was an inventory when she moved in.
                    OK, So I am guessing that the inventory does not detail any of the damage being claimed.

So it is upto you, was the house cleaned to the correct standard, was the wallpaper torn off the wall, should a deduction for the repair of the wallpaper be made due to the damp, Did the LL have to get someone in the mow the lawn?

If you think he is being unfair, then ask him for receipts for the works, then ask him to return the deposit in full.
                    If he does not, then your only course of action would be via the small claims court. ( I would try to avoid that and just come to some form of agreement with the LL )

Good luck.

Comment

Even though he was aware of the things that needed doing but made no mention about us having to pay for any of it when we brought it to his attention?

Comment

I would say so yes! As you have said in your first post, he advised that he was going to get the agent to do a full complete check-out once you had left. He couldn't do the check-out whilst you were still at the property and there may have been other items that come up that he didn't see. Also a check-out by the agent is more impartial.

Sorry if this is not the reply you wanted, just my views.

Comment

Thanks for helping.

When he said he'd let the agents to come and look (which they haven't!- he said the house is nothing to do with them now) there was no furniture in the house, just the walls and the fittings, it was all there for him to see.

Looks like I'm going to be £250 quid short this month then... ah well.

Comment

Looks like I'm going to be £250 quid short this month then... ah well.
                            If you are sure you are in the right, then push it ( Via the courts if need be )
                            I'm just not too sure you have a strong case.

sorry.

Comment

I'll have a read of the original tennancy and inventory when I get home and see what they say.

If we decide to pay up then I will ask for full receipts for the work done to make sure he isnt screwing us over.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Claiming for protected deposit
                                mandm
                                This is an interesting one, got me into a spin.
                                Tenants signed AST but decided to leave after 6 months and 3 days (problem with moving) using the break clause in the AST. I protected the deposit using DPS (Insured) and returned the deposit minus deductions when the moved out.
                                I served the...
                                21-07-2017, 08:00 AM
                              • Reply to Claiming for protected deposit
                                mariner
                                It was the situation predicted by some Judges et al when it was first proposed that the full Penalty would be awarded to the T and not the Exchequer.
                                22-07-2017, 01:16 AM
                                JK0
                                I agree. It's almost at the level of scandal as the people claiming cash by pretending they were ill on holiday. In that case, the Spanish Hotels have told tour operators they won't be doing all inclusive holidays any more.

Therefore, I suggest landlords take a page out of their book, and...
                                21-07-2017, 22:22 PM
                                mandm
                                Letter sent with the evidence attached.
                                Slightly off topic, it seems there this deposit protection appears to have gathered conflicting views.
                                I would have thought that the purpose of the legislation was the protection of T's money, which most law-abiding landlords do but it seems that its...
                                21-07-2017, 21:20 PM
                              • Landlord threatening to sue after end of tenancy
                                Pickle135
                                Our tenancy has just ended. We have cleaned the property from top to bottom using professional cleaners to do this and clean the carpets. He suggested this hadn't been done and wanted the name of our contractor to check which we gave him. The contractor assured him that after eight years the carpets...
                                08-03-2017, 00:45 AM
                              • Reply to Landlord threatening to sue after end of tenancy
                                Pickle135
                                Woohoo!

Our adjudication has just come through and the landlord has been given a token payment with the majority of our large deposit being returned to us. He was told that he had not submitted appropriate evidence for the misuse of the property and that things he was saying were wrong...
                                21-07-2017, 20:49 PM
                              • Deposit at the end of AST. Also, quiet enjoyment.
                                scooter08
                                Q1 – Where is the rented property located (England / Wales / Scotland / N Ireland)?
                                England

Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this e.g. sole tenant / multiple tenant / room only?
                                AST

Q3 – What date did current TA start dd/mm/yy?
                                12/04/2015
                                21-07-2017, 15:06 PM
                              • Reply to Deposit at the end of AST. Also, quiet enjoyment.
                                scooter08
                                Thanks for the reply jp....
                                21-07-2017, 18:32 PM
                                jpkeates
                                Makes sense - if the tenancy agreement doesn't say you have to let him and a surveyor in, his only right of access is with 24 hours written notice for the purpose of viewing the "condition and state of repair" of the property.

So you can simply decline or make your point.
                                21-07-2017, 18:23 PM
                                scooter08
                                I'm not trying to claim for breach of quiet enjoyment. He wants to be in again with a surveyor to use his property as security for something. I am going to let him I just want to remind him and have all the facts. Sorry if I didn't explain it right.

Only claiming for the non protection...
                                21-07-2017, 18:08 PM
                              Working...
                              X