Cleaning costs at tenancy end; professional cleaning?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning costs at tenancy end; professional cleaning?

Hi,
    My flatmates and I moved out from our flat a couple of days ago and they charge us a huge amount to clean the flat : more than £750 (it's a 116 sq meter flat including cleaning everything and the carpet..) with a deposit of £2,700 this is a huge part of it. I've been told that to clean a flat for a check out it's a bit expensive but I didn't think about that much.
    I gave my agreement to my estate agent to take their cleaners to do the job as I wanted to avoid the "sorry it's not done propely, we have to redo the job and you have to pay again...". However, we never signed anything regarding the cleaning conditions and fees and have never received any papers from them so now we are at the bottom of the wall and they said they've done the job so we have to pay.

So, my question is : is it possible to contest the fees they charge us ?
    negociate them or simply ask other cleaners for instance carpet cleaners who came before to clean the flat when we were there to show the bill ? (as it cost us £130 to clean the all flat last time and now the estate cleaners charge us £232 for the same result)

Tks for your help

more than £750 (it's a 116 sq meter flat including cleaning everything and the carpet..)
    now the estate cleaners charge us £232 for the same result
    Which is it?

I don't think £232 is that expensive, whereas £750 is, if it's for cleaning alone and would contest it.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieP View Post
      Which is it?

I don't think £232 is that expensive, whereas £750 is, if it's for cleaning alone and would contest it.
      3 people at £22/hour (is that a normal rate ??) for 7.5hours ..so £495

+ £232 to clean the carpet so £727 in total.
      Does this sounds normal ?

Comment

cleaning charges

That is very expensive per person, did it really need 3 people if so for a small flat it was a mess. However, had you had your own professionals in and kept the reciept that should have ben enough, also there are many carpet cleaning companies giving cheap deals at the moment, someone has gone to the most expensive or added their own admin charge on top.

Comment

We should be able to find out the receipts..i'll check out but the £750 is for the 3 of us so £250 each .. anyway I still think this is a huge amount for a 116sq meter flat. is the £22 / hour / pers rate is fair?
          The cleaners didn't advise me they will come at 3 so I didn't expect that the £22 would have been multiplied by 3... this will change massively the total amount.

is that fair to ask a qiote from an other cleaner and show that to the one who did the job?

Comment

Don't forget to factor in the waiting time for this to be done, if the LL loses a weeks rent because the places needs cleaning before it can be relet I would expect some of that charge to be passed on. I always advise my tennants that I'm happy to visit two weeks before end of contract so that I can go through what I expect them to have done prior to them vacating, it helps focus people and most of them tidy up before I visit anyway..

It all depend how much work the cleaners had to do in your flat, was it simply carpet cleaning or was it a top to tail scrub down, get the mold off the bathroom tiles, degrease the cooker, disinfect the fridge etc... If it's a throrough clean then 3 people for a day would be about right, as for their hourly rate that would include materials etc as well. It may sound expensive but it can be a horrendous job and that always carries a premium.

Comment

top to tail scrub down, get the mold off the bathroom tiles, degrease the cooker, disinfect the fridge..

yes they have done everything however, no problem for the time has the flat is sold and the new owner is already in it.
              So are you saying that a £750 cleaning fee is something normal for a 116 sq meter flat? i hought around £300 to £400 would have been something already expenssive.... can't I just complain about the fees ad try to get a better price from them? if so, how ? As I never sign a such agreement for that price..

tks

Comment

Sa_Casa, if you moved into a clean flat but failed to leave it in the same condition on exit, then the agents will clean it at your expense.
                Agents will obviously charge significantly more than a cleaning company that you go to directly as they will add their 'admin fee', and they have no incentive to shop around for a cheap deal. Indeed most agents have a cleaning company that they will have an ongoing deal with where a proportion of revenue generated will be passed back to the letting agent - creating more incentive for them to inflate the price.
                To be honest if you couldn't be bothered to clean the flat, or to arrange for a company to do so on your behalf, then you can't really expect much else.

Comment

As i said I took their cleaning company to avoid any problem as you should know, if we take a professional cleaning company and they think it's not clean enough they can ask you to redo the job and pays extra fees. that's why we've done that with the estate agent's cleaning company.
                  However i still don't kno if £750 for a 116 sq metter flat is the market rate and if not what can I say to negociate the price.

Tks

Comment

a freind of mine juste received the bill or his 160 sq meter house, the price is £450 so as i said the price that my cleaners via my estate agent is aking me is over the market. So, what is the procedure to negociate with the cleaners when the jod is already done and I haven't agreed any amount?

Cheers

Comment

By the sound of things, you've missed your chance. It was your responsibility to make sure the flat was in as good condition as when you moved in, you had the opportunity to do that before you moved out, you missed your chance.

If you wanted to know what the charges were, you had the opportunity to get quotes and negotiate, but again you missed your chance.

It really doesn't look as if you'd have much chance to get any money back and to be honest, I don't really think it would be worth the effort to try. Think about it: court fees, £80. Time off work to attend court - half a day's wages. Hours of going over what you're going to say so more time spent, and court appearances are incredibly stressful so best avoided. All this so that you can get back £250 between the three of you? Really this is a good lesson for you which you have, in fact, had the chance to learn relatively cheaply.

NEXT time you are leaving a property, make sure you clean it adequately, get quotes, find out the charges before the work is done. That way you are in control.

Comment

Request a copy of the invoice from the professional cleaners that the landlord/agent used, don't settle for less.

If they can't show you an invoice then go to Small Claims online and sue the landlord.
                        And if they show you an invoice, call the company and ask for a quote over the phone and see if there is a big difference (some agents have deals with companies). If there is you can decide to sue the landlord. Just don't ask for the whole cost back because obviously the flat was cleaned but if several companies quote you like half what you're being charged you can argue that the charge is unreasonable. In such case the judge would be the one deciding what is fair or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Sa_Casa View Post
                          a freind of mine juste received the bill or his 160 sq meter house, the price is £450 so as i said the price that my cleaners via my estate agent is aking me is over the market. So, what is the procedure to negociate with the cleaners when the jod is already done and I haven't agreed any amount?

Cheers
                          Not neccessarily - the square footage is not the only consideration. The state of your property may have been much worse. Bear in mind the big costs when house cleaning tend to be the kitchen and bathroom, and this is not really affected by the size of the property.
                          Any posts by myself are my opinion ONLY. They should never be taken as correct or factual without confirmation from a legal professional. All information is given without prejudice or liability.

Comment

Did you instruct the Cleaning company or the Agent? If it was the agent, then it's not your place to negotiate with the cleaners as you don't have a contract with them. You need to be discussing this with the Agent and yes, if necessary, get 3 other quotes to show him as a comparison.
                            Any information or opinion given in this post is based only on my personal experience, what I have learned from this, other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person. E&OE

Comment

I would have thought that data protection would prevent you from obtaining a copy of the invoice, but lets not forget that the charge isn't purely for the cleaning of the flat, the agency had to arange the clean, maybe turn up and let them in, check the job was adequate when they had finished and so on.

Hate to be harsh but you gave a verbal agreement to the agent to get this work done without asking for a quote in the first place.. take it as a learning point, in future at least ask for a list of recommended cleaners!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X