Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• redgoody
    replied
    I’m not so worried about delivering it, as we’ll hand deliver it and film it going through the letter box.

its more getting the content correct and using the correct template that I’m concerned with.

we’ll issue it on 3 grounds - consistently late rent, arrears and over 2 months in arrears.

plan to give 14 days to get out, which we know they won’t, do what do we do when the 14 days have passed?

Leave a comment:

• Berlingogirl
    replied
    Originally posted by redgoody View Post

Any advice please?
    Send two copies one each from different post offices and get a certificate of posting (it's free). A recorded letter might be refused but if you send the letter in a box (I add a few pebbles in a bag taped down to the inside of the box so it rattles and the T won't know they're getting served documents) and get somebody to witness the placing of the notice in the box and sign over the tape, it is more likely to be signed for. The PO will stick a label on it that doesn't have the post code of the area you are sending it from. Where the return address is put a friend's address who doesn't live near you (ask them first!).

Leave a comment:

• redgoody
    replied
    Is it easy enough to issue a S8 myself? The section 6A was issued by the agents at a cost of £135. I’m guessing I can just use an online template and hand deliver (recorded placing through letter box)?
    Any advice please?

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    Her father might actually cough up if someone sues her.

Leave a comment:

• theartfullodger
    replied
    Originally posted by Mrs P View Post
    ....theyout I will be selling the house to recover the money I have lost because I know I won't get any off her.
    People like her continue to get away with partly because landlords give them good references and don't pursue debt, ensure they get CCJ and are then flagged to landlords with the sense to run credit checks.

Please pursue her. You might get some £££, certainly make life hard for lettings, loans, credit deals (eg mobile 'phone contracts)

Leave a comment:

• DPT57
    replied
    Serve and act on s21 if you can.

Leave a comment:

• Mrs P
    replied
    I am about issue one of my tenants a S8 because they owe me over £5000. I know I should have done it before but she kept promising her father would clear the arrears but she has been telling me a bunch of lies. Once they are out I will be selling the house to recover the money I have lost because I know I won't get any off her.

Leave a comment:

• redgoody
    replied
    Is it easy enough to issue a S8 myself? The section 6A was issued by the agents at a cost of £135. I’m guessing I can just use an online template and hand deliver (recorded placing through letter box)?

Leave a comment:

• DPT57
    replied
    So, I’ve now seen references and both brothers were assessed as ‘Medium risk’ by the agents! I will be asking what this means! I would not have accepted anyone not deemed low risk if I had known this
    To be fair, I've never had a tenant classified as low risk in several years of referencing. They always seem to be medium risk even when they're earning a good income.

Leave a comment:

• redgoody
    replied
    We’re are not planning on using them after this has all been sorted! And we will be claiming against them for at least the 1 x months rent that covers the period they failed to pass on the info that tenant couldn’t afford the rent for!

Leave a comment:

• theartfullodger
    replied
    I repeat:

Originally posted by theartfullodger View Post
    Serve S8 all valid grounds, copy council, explaining (verbally) what "intentionally homeless" means
    - sounds like g10&11 at least.

Have you, please?

I'd fire the agent also.

Leave a comment:

• redgoody
    replied
    So, I’ve now seen references and both brothers were assessed as ‘Medium risk’ by the agents! I will be asking what this means! I would not have accepted anyone not deemed low risk if I had known this, but we live and learn I guess. Tenant was also self-employed with profit before tax of c£14k! Another reason I would’ve not accepted him!

I have also received a statement to show what date the tenants actually paid his rent.....and on some occasions he paid on the 4th/5th of the month, and the agents didn’t then pass this into us until 2 weeks later. The lady we were dealing with (now left - sacked I think!) allowed us to believe that every late payment was the tenants doing, but the statement tells a different story!!!

Leave a comment:

• theartfullodger
    replied
    Serve S8 all valid grounds, copy council, explaining (verbally) what "intentionally homeless" means

Leave a comment:

• AndrewDod
    replied

That’s next on my list of things to do, once they’re out. Am I entitled to view the references that were obtained at the start of the tenancy?
    Next time you see references yourself and explore tenants yourself before handing over any keys. And you always insist of handing over keys and selecting tenants yourself -- the agent must have no rights at all (stick that in any contract).

And I guess you let the agent collect and protect the deposit themselves too......

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    That’s next on my list of things to do, once they’re out. Am I entitled to view the references that were obtained at the start of the tenancy?
    The agent will say no, based on "data protection/GDPR".

You respond that the ICO ruled many years ago that this information can be passed by agents to landlords if the tenant is advised that if can be, and that, consequently that should be standard practice for letting agents.
    So why haven't the agent followed this obvious course of action?

You'll feel slightly better but get nowhere.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Dont have access to a printer
    by AndrewDod
    The raft of recent legislation pretty much requires that you print a planet destroying amount of paper (and some parts of it, such as the rather wonderful "How to rent" booklet are designed so as to require an entire ink cartridge worth of ink per page).

Strangely enough the...
    30-05-2020, 02:24 AM
  • Dont have access to a printer
    by jtufty
    Hi,

I have a new tenant moving in. Ive got the contract and Condition Report ready to go but I dont have access to a printer. Is it enough for me to email these to the tenant and ask them in writing to respond theyre happy with it all?

Thanks...
    28-05-2020, 06:19 AM
  • Reply to Tenants struggling to pay rent...payment plan or move them on?
    by Perce
    In what ways can small claims court impact S21 or S8 ? Does anybody has experienced?...
    29-05-2020, 22:38 PM
  • Tenants struggling to pay rent...payment plan or move them on?
    by Mavis808
    I have a Tenant Couple who have informed me this week that they can not afford the rent this month. Naturally they have blamed this on the Coronavirus however they have paid their rent 1 week late often, sometimes longer so have struggled in the past.

I kindly said I would help with a payment...
    24-05-2020, 18:20 PM
  • S21 notice
    by Uklondoner
    My tenant is on rolling contract. Since 18/04 he has not paid the rent only paid a quarter of the owed rent recently. I am ready to serve him s21. Because he is hard to talk to and being dishonest to me. Does the s21 include the time for eviction? You might say 3moths but I will say 2 weeks whatso...
    29-05-2020, 21:52 PM
  • Reply to Section 21
    by Perce
    It is not clear yet what is going to happen with evictions. The ban may be extended till the end of the year. It is becoming almost impossible to evict a tenant. The government will make a decision shortly....
    29-05-2020, 20:24 PM
  • Section 21
    by zrux
    Hi

My tenant was struggling to pay rent, they wanted to move to council house. And asked me to serve notice.
    I served them the section 21 Notice on 28Apr2020 and gave them 4 months to vacate the property on 31-Aug

Since then the tenant says he doesn't want to move out...
    28-05-2020, 13:18 PM
  • Reply to Section 21
    by MdeB
    Yes for S8G8, but for the discretionary grounds it is for the LL to persuade the judge....
    29-05-2020, 19:56 PM
  • Reply to Aiming to get a CCJ on ex tenant
    by Stew
    I understand you are upset but chase the person named on the lease, if they are together still it will impact the both of them so chasing for the CCJ on the named tenant will still impact the one not named as it will carry forward with them if they don't pay right away and when they try and rent again...
    29-05-2020, 18:55 PM
  • Aiming to get a CCJ on ex tenant
    by MadLL
    Apologies if I have posted this before, but I cannot find my original post, if I did indeed post!
    I rented my property to a tenant. I knew at the start of the tenancy that the partner planned to move in at a later date, although the tenant denied the partner ever moved in as I expect they did...
    29-05-2020, 17:30 PM
Working...
X