X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MdeB
    replied
    Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
    But, bottom line, if the tenant doesn't have any money or possessions, there's not much chance of collecting anything.
    But guarantor hopefully does and owns a house.

Leave a comment:

• MisterB
    replied
    Have you considered issuing a Money Claim Online ? do some research. i have used it to good effect on a tenant who started to become sporadic with payments.

Leave a comment:

• AlixB101
    replied
    Lol we did do referencing , as I saw d they both had jobs at the time of signing contracts and referencing!!

Leave a comment:

• DPT57
    replied
    I suspect the saw you coming. It sounds like you didn't do any credit/referencing checks on the tenants or the fact that they didn't have a job would have come up on the report. To be honest, you sound like an easy target for an unscrupulous tenant. You don't really know the ropes and an informed tenant can run rings around you. Before you re-let I would suggest you either do some serious landlord training or use a good agent.

Leave a comment:

• theartfullodger
    replied
    Originally posted by AlixB101 View Post
    ................................ I can't afford to have tenants not paying me rent for another 42 days....
    I don't wish to be rude but IMHO have always thought if you can't cope with 7 months of no rent from tenant-from-hell (or agent-from..) whilst you pay mortgage, court fees, repairs, then it ain't the right business for you: Repairs? Oh yes, or judge may decide you are an evil harassing landlord & give tenant more time.

also, if tenants are in arrears... Would they still have to pay it back by law? Or how would I get that money back?
    Yes of course, it's a contract: Serve s8g10 & any other valid grounds TODAY!. A cheap way of sending a message for the price of a stamp.

Leave a comment:

• AlixB101
    replied
    I don't understand how it's so easy for tenants to get away with not paying rent!!! I wouldn't dare do that!!

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    Originally posted by AlixB101 View Post
    How about me having a small child though, she's only 5 months.. I can't afford to have tenants not paying me rent for another 42 days.
    also, if tenants are in arrears... Would they still have to pay it back by law? Or how would I get that money back?
    If you use section 8, the judge will make a decision about the debt in the repossession hearing, which would allow you to sue the tenants if they didn't pay it.
    But, bottom line, if the tenant doesn't have any money or possessions, there's not much chance of collecting anything.

Leave a comment:

• AlixB101
    replied
    How about me having a small child though, she's only 5 months.. I can't afford to have tenants not paying me rent for another 42 days.

Leave a comment:

• theartfullodger
    replied
    Being pregnant or having small cchildren is usually taken by judges as grounds for extending period of PO from 14 to 42 days.

But no other consequences, apart fom neighbours/social media/papers etc

Leave a comment:

• AlixB101
    replied
    Thank you
    ... I still never even got a reply from the guarantor!!

Leave a comment:

• jpucng62
    replied
    You are absolutely right to contact the guarantor - they are often more concerned about a CCJ than the tenants.

Whatever happens you need to get rid of these tenants asap - section 8 or section 21 if they start paying.

Good luck

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    One of the tenants being pregnant will make no difference to the courts.

The couple now owe two month's rent, so I would suggest that you serve notice using section 8,. ground 8.
    If you don't know what you're doing or don't feel confident, I would use a professional eviction service - it will cost some money, but will be faster and much less stressful.
    Some advertise in the directory area of this site.

If you do use a professional service, let them serve the notice.

Leave a comment:

• AlixB101
    started a topic Rent arrears

Rent arrears

Hello,
    I'm going to tell the whole story of my tenants so far and I'd like some opinion on what you'd do please.

So, we had 2 tenants (couple) move into our property on 1st January. Everything was fine, we were in contact with them quite a lot throughout January as we needed to get a few carpentry bits done in the house etc. Anyway, it came to 1st Feb (when rent was due) and we hadn't received anything. We thought maybe because it was a weekend, so we waited until the 3rs and still nothing. We tried contacting them like we usually would but it was strange as then no answer and this was unlike them !
    We eventually heard from the guy who said "Sorry *** is pregnant, she's really unwell and not been able to answer her phone" .. how strange as she's been calling us a lot I'd say every other day and then suddenly can't answer her phone! On the 4th (4 days late) the guy eventually told us a brief story that they were both threatened at work (in a pub) where they both work and they decided to leave their jobs as it wasn't worth risking their life. We obviously sympathised with them and arrange to have a call with them on 5/6th to find out more information. Anyway, this happened on 12th December!!!! Before they moved in and they didn't mention anything to us!!! They moved in, acting like everything was fine. Leading up to 1st Feb, they didn't mention anything until we chased and chased them asking what's going on for them to tell us!!
    When they initially told us what had happened they made it sound like it had just happened a few days before but then we had the phone call and December!!!
    ​​They haven't been keeping us updated on their situation, no matter how hard we try and tell them communication is key! Now we've got a week before 1st March and that'll be 2 months rent missed.
    We are of the understanding that 2 rent arrears means we can serve notice, so I'm counting down to that day to hurry up.
    They don't seem to care.. we sent a letter to them to about the rent arrears and his response was " why have I received this"
    ​we've told them were doing all we can to help them but obviously there's only so much we can do.

​​​​​Also, they have a guarantor who we emailed on 16th and copied in the tenants. The tenant then messaged us to say "why are you contacting are guarantor, this is our mess to deal with"
    thats why the guarantor is there inc they miss rent payments isn't it?
    Now we've given up contacting them as it's just a joke and waiting till 1st March!!

I'm a student and a full time nursing mum, the reason I let the property was because of this and now it's causing so much stress and loss of money that I don't know what to do.

I'm worried the court will be favoured to them for some reason because she's pregnant! So I'm just panicking slightly now!!!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X