Docusign and other electronic methods of execution of tenancy agreements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Docusign and other electronic methods of execution of tenancy agreements

Do any members of the forum use these? The problem we have come up against is that we cant figure out a way of a witness to attest to execution. What do other more technological savvy multiple landlords do? We, currently, email out agreements and deeds of rent deposit and ask prospective tenants to execute with their signature being attested to by an independent witness, and return to us by the Royal Mail. Thank you

How is it useful to ask tenants to find an "independent" witness? The only point of a witness to an agreement is that this person is someone who is likely to be willing to be called to testify as to the authenticity of a signature.

What "deed" of rent deposit?

Tenancy agreements do not have to exist on paper, electronically or in any other form to be valid. Nor is a witness mandated. Electronic signing is fine and good, but only if you can prove who the signer is (via a certified digital certificate belonging to that person issued by a certificate authority).

If you are worried, get all parties into a solicitors office with their passports.

Comment

I should add that under some circumstances actual PAYMENT is a good way to sign (at least in part). If the tenants are remote, and the tenancy agreement "agreed" - that agreement could state that the tenant pays xxxx exact amount to account xxxx in payment towards the first month of rent in confirmation of this agreement which has been exchanged via E-mail. All parties then sign the paper agreement and right to rent documents are exchanged when tenant arrives. I do that all the time with "overseas" tenants whom I have never physically met. They could do this for example from an email address linked to a Paypal account.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X