Would you be annoyed over a poor'ish paint job?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you be annoyed over a poor'ish paint job?

When we got our current home, the landlord was going to delay us moving in for 6 weeks as he wanted to paint the walls as the previous tenants had painted them black and grey (a very weird combination). We couldn't afford to wait as we were moving for new jobs which started the following week and it was 200 miles away. We struck a deal with the landlord that if he let us move in straight away, we would paint the walls a mutual colour and he agreed. We did all the painting but sadly no matter how many times we have tried, we've always gotten overlap onto the ceiling and when we repainted that we got overlap back onto the wall (despite using masking tape and a trim guard as the wall is quite bumpy) - We also got some overlap around the door frames and the mantelpiece. The previous tenants missed the door frames and mantelpiece but got a lot of splodges on the skirting board and on the actual fire surround from when they painted the mantelpiece.

After 4 years it is time to move on as we are having to move for work again. On one hand he's going to have to spend time correcting our mistakes, which could mean it delays him putting the house back up for rent. But at the same time, he was going to do it anyway before we moved in. Plus with the work we've done, it's going to take him far less time to do just the edges as opposed to the whole house (which also would have saved him a load of money on paint!)

So landlords, how would you feel about this?

If I was silly enough to let a tenant paint, then I would expect exactly what you have done.

Comment

Personally i would realise that we did each other a favour and leave the decorating off any deposit deductions. Some landlords are utter pricks though and will try and get every single penny out of you where possible, including splodges on fireplaces etc.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkNGemma View Post
        We did all the painting but sadly no matter how many times we have tried, we've always gotten overlap onto the ceiling and when we repainted that we got overlap back onto the wall (despite using masking tape and a trim guard as the wall is quite bumpy)
        Paint walls the same colour as the ceiling.

Or use an artist's paintbrush to finish the join.

Paint guards, in my experience, are useless because paint gets on the underside (possibly capillary action, or similar)

Comment

A bad paint job would irk me, but whether or not I deducted from the deposit would depend on what standard was agreed. I would never agree for a tenant to decorate a property without the express condition that it be done to a professional standard.*

Why don't you just pay for a pro for the day to finish your cutting in?

* It's worth adding that I keep my properties in tip top modern condition (they are modern conversions within Victorian properties) so a bad paint job would be a significant detractor. Obviously, there are different standards of property which are hard to compare.
          Last edited by Hooper; 21-02-2020, 13:31 PM. Reason: to add clarification
          Assume I know nothing.

Comment

I would be annoyed if not done to a prof standard.

Comment

As a landlord I would be a bit annoyed but probably wouldn't deduct anything from your deposit.

Comment

I don't think Mark & Gemma are coming back, as they haven't been here since 8 minutes after orginal post.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Washing Machine/Rent arrears
                  by Washingmachine44
                  The only thing is the cited items are not junk. They are working items which to any sane objective mind gives the landlord the opportunity not to have to purchase these items at a higher cost. Setting aside the arrears, which is a separate issue, my proposal suits both parties, less financial headaches...
                  08-04-2020, 12:15 PM
                • Washing Machine/Rent arrears
                  by Washingmachine44
                  Hi Everyone,

I'm a former tenant of a property and I'm looking for some advice. I rented a property in London for 7 years with my GF and moved out in February of this year. I still owe 2 months rent arrears and this is being paid of in agreed installments through the estate agent. ...
                  07-04-2020, 17:54 PM
                • Reply to Tenant moved father in. Advice please.
                  by skidder
                  Can you expand please?...
                  08-04-2020, 12:13 PM
                • Tenant moved father in. Advice please.
                  by skidder
                  I have come into a situation with one of my tenants. The flat is one bedroom and my tenants father has been repeatedly coming to visit. It looks like he is trying to move into the property as I have been informed by text from the council that there is another tenant at the address.(he has been coming...
                  07-04-2020, 14:07 PM
                • Reply to Properties for sale AND Let?
                  by royw
                  The ones I've watched round here have been withdrawn for sale once let. Houses with a tenant in place are usually harder to sell and worth less so anyone really wanting to sell is likely to keep it empty. Worth checking with the agent though if it will be withdrawn from sale if you rent it.
                  08-04-2020, 12:08 PM
                • Properties for sale AND Let?
                  by Questioningtenant
                  HI! Apologies if this is a stupid question; I am rather ignorant in terms of a property being offered for sale and for let at the same time.

I'm a tenant currently looking for a larger rental property and I've noticed a trend in my area in recent times to place a property both for sale...
                  07-04-2020, 21:27 PM
                • Reply to Discount request from tenant
                  by forest777
                  and according to Rentshield documents, our cover is currently useless as ""Rent Guarantee
                  Cover will be provided in respect of Rent owed by the Tenant where the
                  Tenant has failed to pay the Rent in part or in full on the due date
                  shown in the Tenancy Agreement and You are...
                  08-04-2020, 12:08 PM
                • Discount request from tenant
                  by forest777
                  Good morning all.

Our tenants have just requested a discount. They have a guarantor.One of the tenants is self-employed but their reference from December 2018 says he had not submitted any tax returns presumably as the reference states he has been self employed for less than a year. The...
                  08-04-2020, 11:44 AM
                • Reply to Discount request from tenant
                  by forest777
                  Sorry - the guarantor does have records and very healthy income levels. It's the male tenant who didn't on December 2018 but may do now. The message I received was that the husband (builder - self employed) and wife (hairdresser - self-employed but the reference said employed) have been at home for...
                  08-04-2020, 12:06 PM
                • Reply to Tenant moved father in. Advice please.
                  by DPT57
                  I think its a risk for the landlord as he has been told formally of the fathers presence....
                  08-04-2020, 12:04 PM
                Working...
                X