Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Curry smells

Hi

I have a tenant who has recently moved in her boyfriend. He has come over from India. Obviously likes cooking as i've noticed the last 2 times i've been to my property it smells very strongly of Curry. I don't personally mind curry. But the smell is so strong I can smell it in the corridor before reaching the flat. The kitchen is the other end of a long hall inside the flat. I'm concerned future potential tenants won't like the smell and be put off. I think she does use the extractor fan but obviously that is not enough and I bet she is not closing the kitchen door & opening a window. I don't think there is much I can do about it. But I am concerned when she leaves it will need a carpet clean/ replacement, possibly the walls cleaning? Obviously with the new tenants bill law I can't automatically get her to clean carpets anymore. But can I complain when she leaves there are curry smells? Should I be complaining now legally or can it wait until she vacates? Would the DPS be on my side about it? How can I prove to them that it smells strongly of curry?

Will just replacing the carpets get rid of the smell or do I have to wash walls aswell. I don't mind the carpets so much as they are nearly 5 years old but washing all the walls and ceilings is a big job, which could damage the paint. They do not need painting for another 5 years. I know its a case of the oil in the curry being absorbed by the carpet. But do painted walls absorb those smells too? I had previously left newspaper on top of the kitchen cabinets so hopefully I can just replace without needing to wash on top of those.

Thanks
    Ann

Depending on how long this goes on, you will probably find curry grease gets on every surface of the flat. One I recently renovated after a nine year tenancy had grease in every nook & cranny of the kitchen, lounge, bedrooms and bathrooms.

I think you'll need to repaint, as the amount of scrubbing & chemicals needed to remove the grease, as you suspect will damage the paint.

Comment

Thank JKO, did you get any money out of their deposit for extra cleaning costs/ repainting?

Comment

Originally posted by Ann74 View Post
        Thank JKO, did you get any money out of their deposit for extra cleaning costs/ repainting?
        Yes. I got the full deposit surrendered, as all my furniture needed discarding also. Was a drop in the ocean, mind you.

Comment

Thanks for your replies

Comment

Curry smell never absorbed into walls, ceilings, carpets which is totally. As long as the extractor fans is used for extendable time and also by letting the fresh air into the place that smell will disappear. Go and dine to some Asian resturant then you won't find much smell of each distinctive curry. Bet you if you warm your food in microwave then it will also trigger smell which might annoy other too. Also remember that if you interfere your tenant then he might ask compensation for discomfort. Curries never damage/destroy anything provided be cooked & served through careful hands.

Comment

I'm sorry but that's not true.

For all kind of liberal and non racist reasons, I wish it was true, but it isn't.
              All cooking (particularly with oils and fats) penetrates wood and paint (and goes into extractor fan filters).
              If it's something as distinctive as "curry" it's going to persist.

Asian restaurants don't smell of curry too much, but they have industrial extractors and the kitchens do smell of cooking.
              As do all restaurants.

You can get rid of the smell, but it takes a lot of effort (and it's usually easier to mask it with gloss paint - which covers most smells!)
              When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Back in the day landlords used to worry about the smell of boiled cabbage permeating the property.

Comment

It also depends on individual brains & perceptions. In contrary to op's experience i have seen a situation where landlord of property even encourage his friend tenant to cook spicy curry which they both eat together.

Comment

its better than the smell of dog.................

I would be more worried about other things but curry also comes out in sweat not just the cooking so thats why you can smell it in the house -
                    im sure it wont linger Indian cooking is more oils but not fat like chip pan fat and boiling of rice with spices -

if the tenants leave just put airfresheners in

Comment

Do you have a move in condition report?

Comment

That shouldn't be worst than ones workplace where the microwaves stinks with the combination of countless smells.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                        X