Suspending A Warrant of Possession *on* Eviction date?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DPT57
    replied
    I find that really heartening. When I started to read your update I was expecting to read that you were still waiting to hear back from the bailiffs office and were hoping for a date some time in March. Congratulations!

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    Excellent news.

Leave a comment:

• Berlingogirl
    replied
    Great news, glad to hear it

Leave a comment:

• KTC
    replied
    Originally posted by Elphaba View Post
    Well, as an update
    Thanks for the update

Leave a comment:

• AndrewDod
    replied
    All in all a great use of court time and a good system for keeping rents as high as possible. Well done to all.

Leave a comment:

• Elphaba
    replied
    Well, as an update, the bailiff's appointment *was* automatically suspended, the hearing *did* occur at 10am and the judge *did* throw it out after offering me an opportunity to let them stay for a laugh, basically. With that done, I had to phone the bailiff's office (which is open at 8am - 9am every day, in the court house) and after a bit of a wait got through to someone who said they'd contact the court, confirm the result and get back to me. By 11am I'd received a call saying the bailiff would be at the property before midday. As it was they were about ten minutes later but all in all, a remarkably smooth process! By 1pm they were gone, the locks were changed and I have a house full of old **** to store. Wahoo.

Leave a comment:

• Elphaba
    replied
    Does anybody know whether the bailiffs are likely to have been cancelled purely on the basis of the court appeal being scheduled? Wouldn't the court have notified me if the bailiff appointment had been cancelled? Can anybody advise?

Leave a comment:

• Elphaba
    replied
    Originally posted by KTC View Post

When was the order for possession made? If it's been six weeks already, then the tenant's application will be rejected in about 2 minutes flat since the maximum six weeks under exceptional hardship runs from the date of the order for possesion, not the date of this application for suspension.
    I've actually just heard heard back from the solicitor who has said exactly this - the 6 weeks since the possession order actually expired at the end of January, because the tenants were granted 28 days to leave from the date of the possession order. When they failed to do so, I then had to apply for the warrant, then the bailiff etc, so the 6 weeks has actually long since past.

Now, that *does* seem like the sort of thing that doesn't require a judge, doesn't require a court hearing and doesn't require messing up the bailiff appointment. Oh well - as soon as the bailiff office opens in the morning I'll give them a ring and ask if they'll hold fire for an hour or so, since it's basically clear cut unless it turns out I've accidentally broken the Geneva Convention with them or something.

Leave a comment:

• KTC
    replied
    Originally posted by Elphaba View Post
    The warrant of possession was provided by the court on the 16th January and an eviction date set for 10am on February 18th
    When was the order for possession made? If it's been six weeks already, then the tenant's application will be rejected in about 2 minutes flat since the maximum six weeks under exceptional hardship runs from the date of the order for possesion, not the date of this application for suspension.

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post
    Are there any other examples within the legal system where an individual gets an actual court hearing based on no prior information or grounds whatsoever, and without any scrutiny. If I apply to have an FTT judgement overturned (as is also my right) there would be no possibility of a hearing if I submitted a sheet of paper to say "I would like to be heard".
    The only grounds for delaying possession are exceptional hardship or the generally available "defences", human rights violation, discrimination or a public law defence (if the landlord is a public body).

But you do have to tell the court why you want a delay and what evidence you will be relying on.
    You could just ask to be heard, and the court system is meant to be flexible when people are in crisis, but there would be a lot of blank spaces on the form.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ication-notice
    Last edited by jpkeates; 17-02-2020, 17:46 PM. Reason: Quote added for context

Leave a comment:

• Elphaba
    replied
    Originally posted by theartfullodger View Post
    Tenant is absolutely entitled to seek PO overturned: Just as you are absolutely entitled to attempt eviction by s21 or s8.

I trust you've given no reference or only a full, honest one.
    I honestly have no idea what you're refering to. Your first line makes it sound like I was contenting their right to have it overturned? I thought I made it quite clear that I recognise that right?

I'm not sure what your second line means, also. Sorry.

Leave a comment:

• Elphaba
    replied
    Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post
    This is yet another example of legal-system malfunction. Surely if T wants to have a hearing they should also have to say why they want it. Most of them should be possible to easily eliminate based on the paperwork."
    I have a copy of their submission - it effectively boils down to an appeal on health grounds. It's up to the judge to determine if this amounts to 'exceptional hardship' - that shouldn't be some court house staff member's decision, so I have no problem with the actual process - I'm just confused over literally what happens given the clash of dates and times .

Can you not just ask the bailiff if you can be given the last slot of the day?
    I think this is probably a good idea, yup. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• AndrewDod
    replied
    Are there any other examples within the legal system where an individual gets an actual court hearing based on no prior information or grounds whatsoever, and without any scrutiny. If I apply to have an FTT judgement overturned (as is also my right) there would be no possibility of a hearing if I submitted a sheet of paper to say "I would like to be heard".

Leave a comment:

• theartfullodger
    replied
    Tenant is absolutely entitled to seek PO overturned: Just as you are absolutely entitled to attempt eviction by s21 or s8.

I trust you've given no reference or only a full, honest one.

Leave a comment:

• AndrewDod
    replied
    This is yet another example of legal-system malfunction. Surely if T wants to have a hearing they should also have to say why they want it. Most of them should be possible to easily eliminate based on the paperwork.

But hey ho -- it all adds to the cost decent non "nightmare" tenants have to pay. They are the ones who should be in revolt.

Can you not just ask the bailiff if you can be given the last slot of the day?

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X