Leaving a rented house?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaving a rented house?

I do intend on making contact of course but I want to hear it from someone else in case they try to pull a fast one.

We live in a rented house, we've been there many years.
    The rent is paid weekly via a standing order setup by myself.

The contract we signed (about 10 years ago) was for 12 months.
    We never renewed this but just continue to pay weekly rent.

We are now moving and I'm wondering how much notice I need to give to the letting agent?

As no further contract was signed after the first 12 months, you've been on a statutory periodic tenancy ever since.

Periodic referring to the rental period, which is weekly in your case. Statutory because it's laid down in statute that; when a fixed AST tenancy ends with no further arrangements made for a new fixed term, the tenancy automatically lapses into periodic - without consent being required from any party.

While the agents may feel hard done by in getting a week's notice from a long-standing tenant, IMO you would be being very generous by giving them a month - 4 rental periods.

If giving a week, the agent would need to receive notice no later than the last day before your final week's rent is due. This constitutes giving one full rental period's notice. If your rent is paid Monday, this would have to be served on Saturday (if they are open), otherwise, before close of business, Friday.

The way you play this is by considering whether they've protected a deposit, if you paid one (and if haven't protected said deposit, they've bent themselves over and are ripe for a shafting) whether on balance, they've been a decent agent and what you would like them to say about you in a reference, if you need one.

I'd get the all-clear from Shelter on Monday that a week is your minimum notice, then get ahead of the curve by dropping 2 to letters to the agent, one recorded, one by hand.

State in the letter, your right to end the SPT in line with your chosen notice period and dictate the terms.

'As we are renting from you on a Statutory Periodic Tenancy, we are entitled to give you x weeks notice. We will vacate the property on X date, all bills will be settled and keys returned to yourselves after we've cleaned the property to an acceptable standard. We expect our original deposit of £x to be returned in full, minus any damages'.

Remind them that 10 years + in a property entails a significant amount of fair wear & tear, which is non-deductible. Then let them sweat the process.

I expect you will be liable for reasonable check-out fees (expect £100-120), as your tenancy pre-dates the Tenancy Fees Act of June 1st 2019.

Comment

Hi Andrew, Thanks for you response.

I was originally thinking I'd have to give a month. Although a week would be much better.

I don't need a reference as I don't plan on moving until I have the keys for the new place.
      However, I actually did forget about the deposit.

The house itself is in just the same condition as it was when we got it. maybe better to be honest.
      We don't plan on doing a bump or anything, the house will be clean and letable once we've moved out.

Thanks

Comment

Legally 1 rental pettriod ,but how would you feel if LL gave you 1 weekso find alt accom after sevaral years?

Comment

I believe that four weeks notice is required.

Comment

Originally posted by noggin View Post
            I believe that four weeks notice is required.
            So do I, as it's weekly paid. If it's monthly paid then it's one month. In both cases notice must end on the last day of a rental period.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew_01 View Post
              While the agents may feel hard done by in getting a week's notice from a long-standing tenant, IMO you would be being very generous by giving them a month - 4 rental periods.
              A month is more than 4 weeks (except most Februarys).

If the periodic rental is monthly, the tenant's notice has to be a minimum of a month, ending on the last day of a rental period.
              If it's weekly (which this one seems to be) it's a minimum of four weeks, ending on the last day of a rental period.
              So if tenancy began on Saturday, the end of the notice has to be a Friday.

A weeks notice is only possible if the landlord agrees to it.
              When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

If you always paid your rent six month in advance would the LL have to give six months notice to leave at end of a fixed period?

Comment

It depends if you are paying 6 month's rent that's due each month, just before it's due or paying 6 month's rent.
                  When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                  Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

We don't know that this is a weekly periodic tenancy. It might be -- but the fact that T happens to be paying weekly could simply be because that is what they happen to be doing. The contract might specify otherwise (and the fact that the initial contract was for 12 MONTHS suggests that was the case).

If the contract was a monthly contract, but the tenant simply decided (for years even) to pay rent every 3 months in advance it would not make it other than a monthly SPT.

Comment

Originally posted by ETJ View Post
                      The rent is paid weekly via a standing order setup by myself.

The contract we signed (about 10 years ago) was for 12 months.
                      We never renewed this but just continue to pay weekly rent.
                      How frequently was rent due under the contract?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                      X