Requested permission to get a cat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jpucng62 View Post
    Amongst other things, cats can damage carpets at closed doors by scratching at them - which is very difficult to repair because of the nature of the damage - and if they wee on the carpet this goes through to the underlay and cannot be removed easily by cleaning the carpet.
    Why are LLs putting down carpets in unfurnished properties? Since when does unfurnished mean a tenant having to accept the LL's carpet choice? Some LLs are even putting up their own curtains and blinds despite the property being advertised as unfurnished. Is this to stop tenants from owning a cat who might pee on that carpet or claw those curtains? After all if it's not your carpet you'd have no reason to be bothered about a tenant's cat peeing or vomiting on it, same goes for the tenant's furniture or their curtains. The only complaint you would have left is that the cat might scratch the wallpaper and that's easily replaced. No social housing landlord puts down a carpet that the tenant has to accept so why do private LLs do it?

Comment

Originally posted by Snakey View Post

Why are LLs putting down carpets in unfurnished properties? Since when does unfurnished mean a tenant having to accept the LL's carpet choice? Some LLs are even putting up their own curtains and blinds despite the property being advertised as unfurnished. Is this to stop tenants from owning a cat who might pee on that carpet or claw those curtains? After all if it's not your carpet you'd have no reason to be bothered about a tenant's cat peeing or vomiting on it, same goes for the tenant's furniture or their curtains. The only complaint you would have left is that the cat might scratch the wallpaper and that's easily replaced. No social housing landlord puts down a carpet that the tenant has to accept so why do private LLs do it?

That's a bit silly. There is no definition of (un)furnished. The tenant purchases what they get. People want properties in various states.

But no doubt we will end up with a rental market in which all properties are stark sterile boxes (managed by big corporations controlled by City Council edicts) on long term lets to suit a particular brand of long-term tenant only. The millions of people who want somewhere comfortable to say for a few months or a year or two can jump in the lake.

Comment

Why are LLs putting down carpets in unfurnished properties? Some LLs are even putting up their own curtains and blinds despite the property being advertised as unfurnished.
        Do you really think that the average tenant wants to buy, and lug around, different sizes of carpet and curtains for every room size and window size out there.

When you buy a house to live in, you usually buy the carpets and curtains that are already in the house. You then change them to your own taste later on.

Comment

No social housing landlord puts down a carpet that the tenant has to accept so why do private LLs do it?
          Because my tenants wouldn't move into a house without carpets and definitely wouldn't want to pay many hundreds of pounds to fit something that would be pretty useless for them afterwards (and that they'd have to remove when they left).
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

As the previous three posts make clear - tenants in the PRS expect carpets to be provided. As a private LL I also expect to have to provide curtains, blinds and lampshades

I believe the difference between Social Housing & PRS is that once you get a 'social housing tenancy' you stay put whereas most tenants in PRS move now and then - some staying only a few months.

As a Private LL I provide decent carpets & curtains & lampshades so that the house is presented in the best possible way - tenants buy the lifestyle you are selling them. If a tenant wished to replace my soft furnishings I am happy to take mine away. I have yet to have a tenant ask if they can lay a carpet! A better finish on my property attracts a higher rent and carpets and curtains are part of that equation.

Dare I suggest that Social LLs don't provide soft furnishings because so many social housing tenants trash them?

Comment

Originally posted by jpucng62 View Post
              Dare I suggest that Social LLs don't provide soft furnishings because so many social housing tenants trash them?
              There is no correlation between a person's social status and their propensity to trash property.

Comment

I keep dogs and cats (and they are the cause of my frequent use of rugs and replacement of carpets).

However, nothing compares to the damage capacity of a kitten.
                They are full of energy, have sharp teeth and claws, endless curiosity and little continence.
                When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post

There is no correlation between a person's social status and their propensity to trash property.
                  The evidence for that statement would be much appreciated.

Bearing in mind we are not talking about social status we are talking about "social housing tenants". Do have have research that shows that social housing tenants do not trash properties at a higher rate that non social housing tenants -- because that would fly in the face of almost all experiential evidence. But maybe you have access to a solid scientific report?

Comment

Sadly that post shows your negative attitude towards certain groups. I worked for decades with many people in social housing. My experiential evidence is that the majority are decent people who have had some unexpected misfortune or come from challenging backgrounds.
                    You make valuable contributions to help people.
                    It is a shame that you sometimes show a lot of anger.

Comment

Originally posted by Belucky22 View Post
                      Sadly that post shows your negative attitude towards certain groups. I worked for decades with many people in social housing. My experiential evidence is that the majority are decent people who have had some unexpected misfortune or come from challenging backgrounds.
                      You make valuable contributions to help people.
                      It is a shame that you sometimes show a lot of anger.
                      I think there is a difference between observing the world based on evidence (as a Scientist perhaps) and anger. Mars is a pretty unforgiving planet - but I'm not angry about it. You are confusing truth-telling (or at least what I know of it) and question-asking with anger. I feel no anger at all. I asked for evidence - and so far I have received none. That's not anger - it's asking for evidence.

Comment

You are right. As happens too often my response arose from emotion. My lack of comprehension, I apologise.

Comment

Originally posted by scot22 View Post
                          You are right. As happens too often my response arose from emotion. My lack of comprehension, I apologise.
                          We assume here that @Belucky22 and @scott22 are in fact one and the same person. Moderator2 please confirm.

Comment

Sorry. At one point I got involved in a stressful thread and stopped posting. Restarted with new name , got in a muddle. Hope I make acceptable posts.

Comment

On reflection I have behaved incorrectly. Please remove both names from the forum and I will not make any more posts. Best Wishes to all.

Comment

Bit of an over reaction to a minor disagreement scot/belucky. We are grown ups and can take criticism...
                                Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                                X