Selling to tenant who has developed long term illness

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Selling to tenant who has developed long term illness

    Hello, I'm a newbie to this site so forgive if I'm in the wrong place we are retired and rented out two small easy to care for properties and recently decided to sell our properties instead with first dibs to a long-standing Tennant who agreed on a price and toby from us within a year. Like the posts above our single divorced Tennant, the sole occupant had a stroke and has been in the hospital for months. We have now heard from social services that they want to do adaptations to the house that will cause damage and its clear the house design is not suitable for someone who cannot walk etc. We simply want him to either commit to buy the house within 3 months ( he has savings in place) or to vacate within a reasonable time frame so that we have an empty property to sell. We formerly owned residential care home and know that what is being proposed will not work - the T cannot walk talk etc they are proposing he lives downstairs with no access to bathrooms etc commodes and the like. We are over 80 years old and could not have reasonably foreseen this kind of tenancy issue and had taken him at his word regarding purchase. We are concerned that social services will leave the Tennant in danger and neglect and we are too old and infirm ourselves so we need to sell and draw a line under this. Can anyone advise on the clear steps we need to do to give him the options of buying the property or what act or forms we need to issue to service notice this would really help? thank you

    You need some support in this, and I would suggest that a local solicitor would be useful.
    Getting the tenant to make a sensible commitment and live up to it would be difficult and evicting them might also be a bit of a task.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


    Latest Activity