Claiming for loss of rent due to time taken to reconstruct flat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Claiming for loss of rent due to time taken to reconstruct flat?

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether one can legitimately claim from an outgoing tenant, the loss of rent caused by the time spent in putting a flat back together due to the state that it was left in?

I had a new tenant due to move in and I allowed a week to get wear and tear items sorted. However the flat is in such a state that it is going to take longer and my new tenant has to wait before moving in and I miss a week or so of rent in the meantime.

Does anyone have any experience about or thoughts on this please?

Loss of rent is a consequential loss and is not normally a loss recoverable under a rental contract.
    Of course, it's quite possible the tenant won't know that and would expect a claim.

The problem is that when they made and/or broke the terms of the contract the tenant wasn't aware that you would let the property with only a week's gap, and therefore could not have known about that "special circumstance".
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

As above -- you have no particular rights to recover your losses. You should be charging higher rents to take these sorts of unrecoverable losses caused by tenants into account. And select tenants more carefully in future.

You could, next time, speed up the void-period by employing cleaners, removers etc -- which might be recoverable via the deposit or court.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Section 21
        by Perce
        It is not clear yet what is going to happen with evictions. The ban may be extended till the end of the year. It is becoming almost impossible to evict a tenant. The government will make a decision shortly....
        29-05-2020, 20:24 PM
      • Section 21
        by zrux
        Hi

My tenant was struggling to pay rent, they wanted to move to council house. And asked me to serve notice.
        I served them the section 21 Notice on 28Apr2020 and gave them 4 months to vacate the property on 31-Aug

Since then the tenant says he doesn't want to move out...
        28-05-2020, 13:18 PM
      • Reply to Section 21
        by MdeB
        Yes for S8G8, but for the discretionary grounds it is for the LL to persuade the judge....
        29-05-2020, 19:56 PM
      • Reply to Aiming to get a CCJ on ex tenant
        by Stew
        I understand you are upset but chase the person named on the lease, if they are together still it will impact the both of them so chasing for the CCJ on the named tenant will still impact the one not named as it will carry forward with them if they don't pay right away and when they try and rent again...
        29-05-2020, 18:55 PM
      • Aiming to get a CCJ on ex tenant
        by MadLL
        Apologies if I have posted this before, but I cannot find my original post, if I did indeed post!
        I rented my property to a tenant. I knew at the start of the tenancy that the partner planned to move in at a later date, although the tenant denied the partner ever moved in as I expect they did...
        29-05-2020, 17:30 PM
      • Reply to The tenant won't pay due rent
        by Perce
        DPT57

I agree and this is a problem. Very difficult to find someone you can trust that they would do a good job.

It looks like one has to become a solicitor first to be able to deal with solicitors. Solicitors forget half of the things you tell them, make errors, expect...
        29-05-2020, 18:52 PM
      • The tenant won't pay due rent
        by Uklondoner
        The tenant just told me he can't pay not even half and didn't apply for benefit probably doesn't know how to. He said I can call Police. What to do now? I know the government back people like him....
        18-04-2020, 18:34 PM
        by Hudson01
        I can not see you getting anywhere with the ex tenants partner but i totally agree you should chase the non paying tenant until the end of time, its is the previous landlords in not going after the arrears which then caused your tenant to be able to not pay you...... somewhere a stand has to be mad...
        29-05-2020, 18:38 PM
        by Perce
        Send your ex tenant a 14 days pre action letter first....
        29-05-2020, 18:33 PM
      • Reply to Section 21
        by Perce
        The tenant should move to a cheaper accommodation which he can afford....
        29-05-2020, 18:31 PM
      Working...
      X