Epc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Epc

Hi, Wondered if someone could clarify I have property with existing tenants in place long term and the epc has expired but was in force when they moved in . I am aware that it would need to be renewed if a new tenant was to move in . With the new rules coming into force soon must i get an epc done with the existing tenants living there or not until I re let in in the future

No one really knows for sure.

Your property has to be at least have an EPC rating of E to be lettable and I don't see how you can be sure you comply without one, because the tests have changed over time.
    But that may only be an issue if you are challenged by a local authority, or conceivably only if challenged and it turns out you're not compliant.

To be honest, I've taken the approach that the survey isn't as much of a cost as a delay in advertising a property when a tenant leaves and I don't have a current certificate.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

SO Do I need one with the new rules coming into force April 2020 with my existing tenants or not until a new tenancy is started ?

Comment

No one knows.

You can be fined a lot of money for letting a property that doesn't meet the minimum standard, but not having an EPC doesn't break any regulations.
        If a court decides that meeting the standard means that you have to have a current certificate, that would clarify things, but until it does (if that ever happens), no one knows.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

An EPC remains valid for 10 years, unless the Law changes.
          So when was last EPC issued and with what rating A - F?

Comment

https://www.lettingaproperty.com/lan...ates-10-years/

If the tenancy is going to continue beyond the expiry of the EPC with the tenant still in situ, then a new EPC is not required as the property is not being marketed for sale or for let.

Once an EPC has expired, a new one is only legally required when a new trigger point is reached i.e. before the property is next marketed for sale or for let. For clarity, a new EPC is not required simply because an EPC has expired.
            It is permitted to market a property that does not meet the minimum standard E rating, but if a tenancy is started without actually achieving the minimum standard or an exemption is registered, then a breach has occurred.

Comment

I have properties with out of date EPCs and longstanding tenants but because I have made changes to the heating system (storage heaters to electric radiators) I am having new EPCs done. In addition, the way properties are assessed is constantly changing so the only way you can be sure you are compliant in April 2020 is to have an in date EPC and have done no further work that could alter it. Whilst the law appears to say you don't need need one until a new tenant is sought, I do not want to try to convince a court that I was compliant because the my out of date EPC says I was over 10 years ago!

I am looking at it as a necessary cost to identify which of my properties I will need to do further work to if the next step is an upgrade to D.

My advice : shop around to get a good price - there is a list of registered assessors on the Govts EPC Register site - let the taxman pay his bit and ensure you are compliant.

Comment

That article is dated NOVEMBER 7, 2018

Comment

I have read this online , this is why I am asking for clarity on this
                  An EPC is a certificate that shows how energy efficient a property is.

The EPC ratings range from Grade A (most efficient), to Grade G (least efficient). In theory, the higher the energy efficiency, the lower the running costs and vice versa.

EPCs have been required by law since 2008 in England and Wales and 2009 in Scotland. Since 1st April 2018, all new lets and renewal tenancies must have a minimum energy performance rating of E on an Energy Performance Certificate. These regulations will come into effect for all existing tenancies on 1st April 2020.

An energy performance certificate provides information on how much energy the property uses, how costly it'll be to run its heating, hot water and lighting, and what the carbon dioxide emissions are likely to be.

It also offers practical recommendations on how to improve the rating. These improvements – which can range from installing insulation and double glazing, to using low-energy lighting – can not only lower your energy bills, they can help lessen the property's environmental impact.

Generally, new-build homes tend to have high EPC ratings, whereas older homes tend to have lower ones.

Comment

says all EXSISTING tenancy's must have an E or above from April 2020 ??

Comment

https://www.axa.co.uk/landlord-insur...-need-to-know/

Comment

If this is the case there will be a lot of landlords unaware and will not have a valid EPC from April 2020 . So I think getting clarity on this is important . A section 21 may also be invalid if a valid EPC is not in force after this date so can have quite serious consequences If anyone wants there property back.

Comment

As always the law is open to interpretation:

Is a 'property has an expired EPC, done 12 years ago, that says it was an E then' the same as ' a property is an E rating or above at April 2020'?

If in any doubt about your compliance I would suggest it is worth getting a new EPC.

Comment

yes but they only last 10 years after which they are removed from the EPC database ??

Comment

they arent removed just crossed through "expired". The sad thing is that we are prevented from doing any upgrading to the three of our properties which scored the lowest scores, ie Fs and Gs because the tenants have refused any upgrading offered free of charge by the landlord.
                              I wonder if they will let us in to examine and if necessary upgrade the electric wiring. Basically they dont like anyone coming in to their homes at all. One is a compulsive hoarder and embaressed by the mountains of cr*p everywhere

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X