FAO LL's. How long would you wait for a tenant to reside?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FAO LL's. How long would you wait for a tenant to reside?

As the title states: How long would you call 'reasonable' to wait for a tenant to move into your [empty] property upon approval?

I applied for a new house via LA on 30th Jan, expecting some form of result by at least 4th Feb - which would have given me 24 hours to post out my notice to my current LL, as my periodic tenancy period ends on 5th of every month. This would have fell nicely with the upcoming rent to be used as the new houses' rent in advance, if I could move in by 5/6th March.

I contacted the LA today for an update on the application and they still have yet to receive a response from the LL with their decision as to whether or not they wish to go ahead with referencing. They are also refusing a holding deposit unless LL wishes to proceed.

This has now delayed a possible moving date by an extra month as my notice to quit will expire on 5th April if I served it this month and I couldn't risk giving my notice and end up having an unsuccessful application. If it does end up being approved, I'm unfortunately not in the position financially to overlap both properties for an entire month - unless my current LL allows half of my deposit (currently 2 months rent worth) as a final payment.

Is waiting until April from now too unreasonable?

Most tenant's need to give a month's notice so I would expect between 1 and 2 months. I would keep looking at other properties as you don't know that you will be offered this one.

Comment

If agent is not making things move, then look for another place.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to getting evicted - but no paperwork
        by jpkeates
        Solicitors have a code of practice.
        They can't conjure possession hearings out of thin air....
        03-06-2020, 23:00 PM
      • getting evicted - but no paperwork
        by beryl
        I have today been told that I am getting evicted and that there is a hearing next week.
        But I haven't received any Court papers, no notice to quit, no section 8, or section 21.
        I don't even know how this is possible as I thought there was a ban on eviction hearings.
        I owe rent yes,...
        03-06-2020, 17:32 PM
        by Jon66
        Op said the landlord's solicitor emailed her.
        03-06-2020, 22:34 PM
      • Reply to Mould/witholding rent/C19 eviction rights
        by jpkeates
        If there's mould in the property it almost has to come from condensation inside.
        The (alkaline) lime in the plaster and the acid in the mortar mean that water coming from outside doesn't usually allow mould to develop.

Mould forms when water that condenses on the surface is left there....
        03-06-2020, 22:23 PM
      • Mould/witholding rent/C19 eviction rights
        by Borischelski
        I wonder if I could trouble someone for advice, having recently become a Landlord for the first time ?

BACKGROUND
        A year ago I inherited a small 1970s one bedroom flat in Birmingham.

The flat was originally heated with a couple of electric bar heaters....
        02-06-2020, 09:37 AM
      • Reply to Leaving before s21 notice expires?
        by jpkeates
        I don't have any idea how this is meant to work.
        But, the only people who really matter are the landlord and the tenant.

The agent works for the landlord, and if they've found themselves in a conflict if interest, have to resolve it in favour of the landlord.
        They'll never accept...
        03-06-2020, 22:12 PM
      • Leaving before s21 notice expires?
        by Kj47
        I have received a s21 notice to leave at the end of August (this includes the current extended 3 month covid19 period). I wish to leave the property early as I have now found another property to rent but this can only be ‘held’ for a period of 2 months by the letting agent. I have asked if I can...
        03-06-2020, 17:41 PM
        by jpkeates
        Yes, the courts are still just about functioning, so a money claim is still possible, if unlikely.
        If a landlord came here seeking advice about a tenant in arrears, I would suggest a money claim rather than a possession claim, in the first instance.

However, tou should still receive...
        03-06-2020, 22:09 PM
        by Jon66
        Yes if they have claimed for it, but it depends on what basis the possession proceedings are made. I don't think there was sarcasm, just a character. Artfuls comment re benefits is referring to himself, and he gave good advice re shelter. And some landlords are bad we know that, but I'm not one of the...
        03-06-2020, 21:58 PM
        by beryl
        Jon66: there were sarcastic responses from a person further up. It's there to read.
        I did contact CAB and my local council. I told my landlord in 2014 there was a leak, nothing done. Same again in 2017, 2018. Told in 2019 bath tub was dangerous, don't bath, nothing done by LL. At that same...
        03-06-2020, 21:43 PM
      Working...
      X