FAO LL's. How long would you wait for a tenant to reside?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FAO LL's. How long would you wait for a tenant to reside?

As the title states: How long would you call 'reasonable' to wait for a tenant to move into your [empty] property upon approval?

I applied for a new house via LA on 30th Jan, expecting some form of result by at least 4th Feb - which would have given me 24 hours to post out my notice to my current LL, as my periodic tenancy period ends on 5th of every month. This would have fell nicely with the upcoming rent to be used as the new houses' rent in advance, if I could move in by 5/6th March.

I contacted the LA today for an update on the application and they still have yet to receive a response from the LL with their decision as to whether or not they wish to go ahead with referencing. They are also refusing a holding deposit unless LL wishes to proceed.

This has now delayed a possible moving date by an extra month as my notice to quit will expire on 5th April if I served it this month and I couldn't risk giving my notice and end up having an unsuccessful application. If it does end up being approved, I'm unfortunately not in the position financially to overlap both properties for an entire month - unless my current LL allows half of my deposit (currently 2 months rent worth) as a final payment.

Is waiting until April from now too unreasonable?

Most tenant's need to give a month's notice so I would expect between 1 and 2 months. I would keep looking at other properties as you don't know that you will be offered this one.

Comment

If agent is not making things move, then look for another place.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to My tenant lied to me
        by Uklondoner
        The rent has to be two months or more in arrears? My case the tenant owe me less than two months can still do the form?...
        03-06-2020, 16:50 PM
      • My tenant lied to me
        by Uklondoner
        My tenant lied to me saying he missed the first universal credit payment. But actually according to one of my friend the payment normally only take two weeks to come directly to the bank account. What can I do? Can I find a way to let the universal credit directly make overdue rent payment? I really...
        03-06-2020, 09:54 AM
        by theartfullodger
        As a stupid landlord I take grave exception to your slur, Sir!

Next week, amazing, unexpected, revelations that from time2time landlords lie to tenants.............. and agents from time2time lie to landlords AND tenants... and MPs & a particular special adviser seem to lie to most...
        03-06-2020, 16:22 PM
      • Reply to Access to sheds
        by DPT57
        Possibly, although I was basing my comment on this phrase in the original post:...
        03-06-2020, 16:21 PM
      • Access to sheds
        by endymion
        Hi. We have been renting a flat for the past decade under an Assured Shorthold Tenancy. The flat is one of five in a single block. The back garden contains a large outbuilding comprising ten sheds. Implicitly, then, two sheds per flat. The inventory does contain the wording 'Garages, Sheds, Outbuildings:'...
        03-06-2020, 10:09 AM
        by Uklondoner
        Thanks so much !...
        03-06-2020, 16:21 PM
        by AndrewDod
        Then you need to go the route I said. Unless there is a lease which specifically defines the demise of Flat X that includes the shed(s) there is no reason at all to explicitly exclude anything....
        03-06-2020, 16:17 PM
        by nukecad
        As it's UC then as a landlord you need to submit a form UC47 to apply to the DWP for a 'Managed Payments to Landlord', which can include an amount for arrears.
        However any repayment of arrears granted will be on a 'pay back at so much a month' basis.

UC47's can now be submitted online....
        03-06-2020, 15:51 PM
        by endymion
        Well, partly, but mainly I'm considering whether the sheds would have to be explicitly excluded from the tenancy in the AST. It's a question of what would be considered the default position in law....
        03-06-2020, 14:53 PM
        by endymion
        Interesting. I'll have to cross that bridge when I come to it. Nonetheless, if the deeds stipulate that the sheds are part of the flat, rather than communal, surely that's quite a different matter....
        03-06-2020, 14:52 PM
      Working...
      X