Paid deposit & first months rent but landlord is ignoring me and I dont have the keys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paid deposit & first months rent but landlord is ignoring me and I dont have the keys

I need help!

As the title says, I paid the deposit, first months rent and signed a tenancy agreement but the landlord is now ignoring me, I have emailed (no response) called and visited the agency (told he is not in the office or in a meeting and they will get him to call me later, of course this didn't happen.) to try to get the keys and be able to move in. This has been going on for nearly 2 weeks now and he has over a grand and I have nothing to show for it. The move in date was supposed to be on the 23rd January.

What should I do, is there anything I can do?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. The estate agents claim that they cannnot do anything and I should contact the landlord. (which I have been trying to do.)

What do the agency say about the delay and the reason for it?
    Is the landlord the agent?

Have you been to the property and is it empty?

In theory you can use a locksmith to access the property and take possession, but that isn't without risk.
    You can demand compensation from the landlord for any (reasonable) costs you incur as a result of the breach of contract.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
      What do the agency say about the delay and the reason for it?
      Is the landlord the agent?

Have you been to the property and is it empty?

In theory you can use a locksmith to access the property and take possession, but that isn't without risk.
      You can demand compensation from the landlord for any (reasonable) costs you incur as a result of the breach of contract.
      I walked past the property last night and it was dark inside so I dont think anyone is in there but I can only see the front of it.

When ever I call/visit the agency they claim ignorance and tell me I have to deal with the landlord directly. I am unsure if the landlord is the agent.
      When I first enquired about the flat, I called the agency and booked a viewing. I met the landlord, he showed me around and he is the one I was in contact with up until I paid the money.

I think I may go down the comepnsation route, not sure I even want this kind of person as a landlord.

Comment

Does the 'landlord' own the property?
        Check here, costs £3;

https://www.gov.uk/search-property-i...-land-registry

Comment

Originally posted by boletus View Post
          Does the 'landlord' own the property?
          Check here, costs £3;

https://www.gov.uk/search-property-i...-land-registry
          The address I am supposed to be moving into doesn't show up.
          It is a flat above a shop. The shop address is 85 and the flat number is 85a. Only the shop address is coming up

Comment

Does the landlord own the shop?
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Does the landlord own the shop?
              He does not.

Comment

I have the feeling you should talk to the agent about calling the police.
                I don't really see how they're actually involved in this - normally a landlord would use an agent to avoid dealing directly with their tenants.

Comment

I have the feeling you should talk to the agent about calling the police.
                  I don't really see how they're actually involved in this - normally a landlord would use an agent to avoid dealing directly with their tenants.
                  Yes, I found this odd too but I have never rented before so I didn't know if it was the norm.

What should I say to the agency?

Comment

That if they don't produce the landlord and the keys, you're involving the police because you think the landlord has defrauded you with their assistance.

Comment

I'd make enquiries at the shop too.

How was the rent and deposit paid and who to?

Comment

That if they don't produce the landlord and the keys, you're involving the police because you think the landlord has defrauded you with their assistance.
                        Thank you, i am taking notes

Comment

Originally posted by boletus View Post
                          I'd make enquiries at the shop too.

How was the rent and deposit paid and who to?
                          I paid by bank transfer to the estate agent.

Comment

In which case, they can return it.

Comment

Has your deposit been paid into one of the schemes? You should have received paperwork such as Terms and Conditions and Prescribed Information.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Section 21
                                by Perce
                                It is not clear yet what is going to happen with evictions. The ban may be extended till the end of the year. It is becoming almost impossible to evict a tenant. The government will make a decision shortly....
                                29-05-2020, 20:24 PM
                              • Section 21
                                by zrux
                                Hi

My tenant was struggling to pay rent, they wanted to move to council house. And asked me to serve notice.
                                I served them the section 21 Notice on 28Apr2020 and gave them 4 months to vacate the property on 31-Aug

Since then the tenant says he doesn't want to move out...
                                28-05-2020, 13:18 PM
                              • Reply to Section 21
                                by MdeB
                                Yes for S8G8, but for the discretionary grounds it is for the LL to persuade the judge....
                                29-05-2020, 19:56 PM
                              • Reply to Aiming to get a CCJ on ex tenant
                                by Stew
                                I understand you are upset but chase the person named on the lease, if they are together still it will impact the both of them so chasing for the CCJ on the named tenant will still impact the one not named as it will carry forward with them if they don't pay right away and when they try and rent again...
                                29-05-2020, 18:55 PM
                              • Aiming to get a CCJ on ex tenant
                                by MadLL
                                Apologies if I have posted this before, but I cannot find my original post, if I did indeed post!
                                I rented my property to a tenant. I knew at the start of the tenancy that the partner planned to move in at a later date, although the tenant denied the partner ever moved in as I expect they did...
                                29-05-2020, 17:30 PM
                              • Reply to The tenant won't pay due rent
                                by Perce
                                DPT57

I agree and this is a problem. Very difficult to find someone you can trust that they would do a good job.

It looks like one has to become a solicitor first to be able to deal with solicitors. Solicitors forget half of the things you tell them, make errors, expect...
                                29-05-2020, 18:52 PM
                              • The tenant won't pay due rent
                                by Uklondoner
                                The tenant just told me he can't pay not even half and didn't apply for benefit probably doesn't know how to. He said I can call Police. What to do now? I know the government back people like him....
                                18-04-2020, 18:34 PM
                                by Hudson01
                                I can not see you getting anywhere with the ex tenants partner but i totally agree you should chase the non paying tenant until the end of time, its is the previous landlords in not going after the arrears which then caused your tenant to be able to not pay you...... somewhere a stand has to be mad...
                                29-05-2020, 18:38 PM
                                by Perce
                                Send your ex tenant a 14 days pre action letter first....
                                29-05-2020, 18:33 PM
                              • Reply to Section 21
                                by Perce
                                The tenant should move to a cheaper accommodation which he can afford....
                                29-05-2020, 18:31 PM
                              Working...
                              X