Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check-out Fee and Deposit Protection

Hi guys

Just a quick question for you - a friend was told that if she wanted to renew her lease on the place she was renting she would have to pay to be part of the deposit protection scheme because that what the government says - that doesnt sound at all correct to me.

Furthermore, when she left she was charged a £100 checking-out fee when nothing was actually done. She has checked her contract and it is hidden in there - she obviously should have checked it properly. Are such fee's commonplace and justified?

Thanks

Commom Place - No
    Justified - No
    Obliged to pay - Yes ( As that is what is says in the contract ) You could of course challenge this in court.

Comment

L has to handle any AST deposit in accordance with an approved sceme, true, but T does not have to pay anything for this privilege.
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by Colincbayley View Post
        Commom Place - No
        Justified - No
        Obliged to pay - Yes ( As that is what is says in the contract ) You could of course challenge this in court.
        (Crossed with my last post)

L has to deal with deposit even if:
        a. Agreement unfairly demands payment of extra fee from T; and
        b. T fails to pay that fee.
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

We make a charge in circumstances where we have a tenant who has had a periodic tenancy since before 6th April 2007 and now decides they want a new agreement. As a rule of thumb we never renew our agreements and allow them all to become periodic so obviously if we grant a new one now we have to register the deposit. Why should we foot the cost of this when it's the tenant who wants a new agreement.

Comment

Well - fair enough, but you must be aware that if you use the TDS there is no charge to protect the deposit - you just loose out on the interest that yu could otherwise earn on that deposit!

P.P.
            Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

Yes I agree, we use the DPS though so are charged for each deposit we protect

Comment

I was sure i read somewhere that leagally tenants were not allowed to be charged any fees extra, conected to the protection of the deposit, but the landlord could be charged.

Comment

Originally posted by johnboy View Post
                  I was sure i read somewhere that leagally tenants were not allowed to be charged any fees extra, conected to the protection of the deposit, but the landlord could be charged.
                  That rings a bell!

However, it wouldn't stop a LL dressing the fee up as something else!!

Comment

Originally posted by johnboy View Post
                    I've looked carefully at the Housing Act 2004 but I cannot locate such a provision. Perhaps it's buried in a Statutory Instrument.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
                      Jcg76
                      I have a leasehold studio flat with a garden in London that I rent out to tenants.
                      Recently, the freeholder gave me three days notice that he was extending part of the building my flat is joined to and he would need to put scaffolding on my flat roof and in my garden. I immediately objected saying...
                      24-07-2017, 21:20 PM
                    • Reply to Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
                      Jcg76
                      Thanks for the above info, especially the 20-30% info, I wanted to get an idea of the standard/reasonable amount.
                      He does have permission, but we were not informed, although our lease stipulates that we cannot object to any of his building works. SO not a lot I can do about that.
                      Can anyone...
                      25-07-2017, 20:24 PM
                    • Tenant application form
                      Elum
                      Hi all!

So we are just about to put our flat on the market to rent is there anywhere we can get a ODF application form that we can email to any prospective tenants?

Thanks in advance,

Liam.
                      25-07-2017, 20:14 PM
                    • Three guarantors = three guarantees of deed or just one?
                      aciduzzo
                      I will have three guarantors as there are three (student) tenants. The agency has sent me a guarantee-of-deed sample, but i'm not sure whether i should send a separate one to all guarantors, or just have one listing all guarantors. What do others on here do?
                      25-07-2017, 10:05 AM
                    • Reply to Three guarantors = three guarantees of deed or just one?
                      aciduzzo
                      I've used landlordreferencing.co.uk for the referencing and RGI. They seem to think it's standard to ask the guarantors to guarantee the full amount. They weren't even sure whether they could provide RGI if the guarantors are only liable for 1/3 rent. So i have asked them to check with the underwriter...
                      25-07-2017, 18:19 PM
                    • Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
                      Pb21
                      Our rented flat was broken into, in the process the Yale lock was broken and cost £100 to repair. The landlord is refusing to pay this on the basis we didn’t also lock the door with the mortice lock. We didn’t use the mortice lock as it wasn’t working although the landlord did not know this....
                      25-07-2017, 11:40 AM
                    • Reply to Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
                      leaseholder64
                      It is typically a condition of insurance that there be secure, morticed deadlock, at least for contents insurance....
                      25-07-2017, 17:09 PM
                    • AST end date 31/07/17 advice needed.
                      scooter08
                      Hi, Guys, I have posted a few threads on this forum now and although the section 21 notice is probably invalid I don't want to let the landlord know that yet.
                      I'm after help with writing my landlord a letter. He wants us out on the 31/07/17 and keeps asking me how I intend to leave the keys for...
                      25-07-2017, 09:54 AM
                    • Reply to AST end date 31/07/17 advice needed.
                      scooter08
                      I hear you Wright76 we're stressed out as well. We have 3 kids all with additional needs so don't want any court action and definitely not bailiffs. My landlord doesn't understand why I'm being picky, with the needs my kids have they all need separate rooms. I haven't told the landlord this as it's...
                      25-07-2017, 16:45 PM
                    • Reply to Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
                      Pb21
                      Thanks for your reply jpkeates, although just so I am clear and for the avoidance of doubt is your statement that as there has been damage while we were responsible for the property we are, consequently, responsible for the damage, your opinion or a fact?
                      25-07-2017, 16:17 PM
                    Working...
                    X