Agents won't fix my boiler!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Agents won't fix my boiler!

I am currently renting through an agent and the landlord has specified that no maintainance work can be carried out without his authorisation. I have been trying to get hold of him for a week now without success. The agents can't get hold of him either. The upstairs boiler is leaking and the water was dripping through the downstairs ceiling. I have had to turn the boiler off (hence no hot water or heating) and put a bucket under the boiler to catch the water. Unfortunately I am away next week and will be unable to change the bucket which will result in it overflowing and then a collapsed ceiling downstairs. Even though the agents know this they are still unwilling to help as they have to adhere to the landlords request. I have 3 children and not having hot water is intolerable but a collapsed ceiling would be significantly worse. Is there anything I can do about this? I would be grateful for any help as I am now becoming quite desperate.

L is committing a criminal offence: s.11 of LTA 1985. Tell local authority (Consumer Protection, Env. Health, Tenant Advice, Public Safety, or something similar); they may well be interested in prosecuting him, esp. if he is a known villain in the area.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Your LL has a legal obligation to provide you with heating and hot water. Your situation is unacceptable in my book. As such I would phone the agent today and advise that unless the matter is resolved within 48 hours, then you will appoint your own plumber and deduct the cost from next months rent.

The agent is not looking after the LL's interests if they are going to let the property get damaged in this way!!

Comment

Get 2 or 3 quotes for the work in the 48 hours (I'd notify them in writting (maybe fax? or email with a read / delievery receipt request, keep copies). After 48 hours give notice in writting (keeping a copy) stating that your going to use the lowest quote to get the work done in say 24 hours and if the landlord doesn't pay you'll deduct the money from the rent. Prevents that landlord from saying you got a ridiculously priced plumber to do the work (yes i know he should have done it in the first place!)

Comment

Eep, that's jolly confusing old fashioned pen, paper and photocopier it is then!

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman
            There are 10 types of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't
            Actually there are 11 as you have those that don't even understand the statement above.
            On some things I am very knowledgeable, on other things I am stupid. Trouble is, sometimes I discover that the former is the latter or vice versa, and I don't know this until later - maybe even much later. Because of the number of posts I have done, I am now a Senior Member. However, read anything I write with the above in mind.

Comment

There is case law which suggests that, particularly as you have a young family, you may book into a moderately priced local hotel and remain there at your landlord's expense until the boiler is repaired and once again providing you with heat and hot water.

P.P.
              Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman
                There are two types of people in the world - those who think there are two types of people in the world, and those who don't.
                No- there are three types of people in the world:
                A. Those who can add-up.
                B. Those who can't.
                JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• NTQ during fixed term?
                  vpltd
                  Hi,
                  Can a LL issue a valid NTQ during the six-month fixed term of an AST agreement?
                  (A residential let in England.)
                  VPL.
                  11-08-2017, 14:53 PM
                • Reply to NTQ during fixed term?
                  jpkeates
                  Except that the repossession order doesn't actually end the tenancy either, it simply says that it must end.
                  Then, either the tenant has to surrender the property to comply with the order or the order has to be executed by bailiifs.
                  Which actually ends the tenancy.

So the court...
                  22-08-2017, 12:59 PM
                  StuartH
                  Which came first, the chicken, or the egg? ...
                  22-08-2017, 12:55 PM
                  StuartH
                  I'm pretty unlikely to agree with anything you write, as a matter of general principle; and certainly, see no value in debating why. I wish you a good afternoon....
                  22-08-2017, 12:52 PM
                  KTC
                  Let's try to construct that piece of legislation.

(1) & (2) can stand on its own. There's no inconsistence to prevent accepting that a tenant leaving after receiving a s21 before/without court is leaving "as a result of the service of a notice". The bit some have difficuities...
                  22-08-2017, 12:14 PM
                  jpkeates
                  The legislation the says that also says that it must happen at a hearing that is impossible.

It has to happen at a repossession hearing when the tenancy has ended as a "result" of a s21 (and ended during a tenancy period to require a rebate).

The only possible scenario...
                  22-08-2017, 10:20 AM
                  Wright76
                  It's perfectly simple. Either you accept the tenancy ended as a result of the section 21 or don't.

By taking the keys back and control of the property you are somehow accepting the surrender. Now, if you have no written notice from the tenant or deed of surrender your most definitely accepting...
                  22-08-2017, 09:59 AM
                • S21 and refunds
                  tatemono
                  Because the poor old OP of THIS THREAD has seen it derailed by a long but nevertheless valid debate/argument/discussion about the interpretation of law, I've started a new thread because the discussion has raised some questions I'd like answers to.

Say I have a tenant, whose AST started...
                  18-08-2017, 05:52 AM
                • Reply to S21 and refunds
                  tatemono
                  er... perhaps pedant would be more apropros ...
                  22-08-2017, 09:39 AM
                • Tenants reporting damp issues in flat
                  james99
                  Hi,

I rent out a modern / purpose built ground floor flat which I've owned for c15 years and lived in it myself up until the last few years when I have rented it out. Never had any issues with damp when I was living there or with past tenants, however, the current tenants have reported...
                  16-08-2017, 16:53 PM
                Working...
                X