Is this cheeky?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this cheeky?

We are in a 12 month AST with a very good landlord and excellent agents, but I know my landlord plans to sell the house at some point in the future (no idea when, so this is a hypothetical question). When he does eventually decide to sell, would it be cheeky to ask if he'd give us an extra month or so in notice to apply for a mortgage ourselves and see if we can take the property? Or is that taking the proverbial? Sorry if this is a bit of a non question but I have autism and struggle with what is socially acceptable etc.

If he's selling, anyone can make an offer. If you know he's selling and you want to buy, just speak with a mortgage broker to see how much of a mortgage you could get and whether you could get one (mortgage in principal). Then make an offer to your landlord.

Comment

I think that's a perfectly sensible idea. Your landlord could save on the Estate Agent's fees so he would most likely be happy with your idea.

Comment

Fab, only reason I ask is that what I'd use as deposit money is invested in such a way that it could take up to a month to 'free' it up. I confess, I don't actually know a fat lot about how to go about buying a house/applying for a mortgage, hence why I rent! We do love the house though, and have decorated it beautifully (with landlords permission) so would love to keep it if he sells!

Comment

Originally posted by Berlingogirl View Post
          I think that's a perfectly sensible idea. Your landlord could save on the Estate Agent's fees so he would most likely be happy with your idea.
          Totally agree.
          Make sure the landlord knows ahead of time, so they don't appoint an agent before talking to you.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

He's coming round to see the last room to be decorated on Sat and to have a chit chat with us as we have similarly aged kids and get on fairly well, so I'll broach the subject then now that I know it's not a bit of a cheeky request.

Comment

Have a chat with a mortgage provider or look online to see how much of a deposit you need, how much you need to be earning, and how much your repayments will be. Do this before you chat to your landlord so you can chat with confidence.

Comment

Not at all cheeky. The problem is that it is hard to gauge a market price without actually marketing.
                So landlord might not be keen and maybe you should not either.

Suggest you all come to a deal (involving the agent) that if agent cannot achieve a price higher than you are (eventually) prepared to offer then the agent gets no fee at all, and the sale goes to you.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X