Temporary Disability causes HMO not to be suitable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temporary Disability causes HMO not to be suitable

My daughter had a ski accident and now the top floor accomodation she rents with 5 others is not suitable, changing a room to a ground floor would also not suit as all the facilities are either basement or up stairs. The landlord has said he would put a microwave or a fridge in her room and also stated it would be a big problem if she cant do stairs. She cant sit or do steps at the moment. She is currently on a walking frame and the consultant has said her broken sacral wing and sacrum can take up to a year before full mobility is back. The landlord has also stated that I am to ask the university if they have any post grads that require accomodation, however the other 5 house mates would have to agree with a new tenant plus a new tenancy agreement. My question is if we continue with the tenancy - does the landlord have to adapt anything for my daughter. Obviously this is a total exceptional circumstance and a temporary disability which will be ongoing until the tenancy ceases at the end of June. There is no break clause in the agreement does that mean we are bound to it?

Originally posted by mirren1998 View Post
    My question is if we continue with the tenancy - does the landlord have to adapt anything for my daughter. Obviously this is a total exceptional circumstance and a temporary disability which will be ongoing until the tenancy ceases at the end of June. There is no break clause in the agreement does that mean we are bound to it?
    There is no obligation on the landlord to do anything at all to accommodate your daughter's new circumstances.
    And, yes, she is bound to the agreement.

The landlord is being extremely flexible in offering to allow your daughter to be replaced on the tenancy at all.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, although it does confirm a personal prejudice about the stupidity of skiing.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thank you for your response and clarification on this.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X