Bathroom Refurbishment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bathroom Refurbishment

What are people's thoughts about replacing the bathroom suite whilst tenants are living in the property?

How realistic/practical is this?

I would also welcome people's thoughts on replacing the bath with a shower cubicle?

Thanks

Is there another toilet and shower in the property?
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I've done a couple recently (due to section 24).
      Both properties had separate W.C's , tenant's full cooperation and approval, trusted plumbers, agreed timescales etc.
      Both ended with tenants upset and in tears because however well planned, something always goes wrong.
      However, it's a bit like childbirth. The pain is soon forgotten and both tenants are very happy now.
      Debateable whether I'd do it with tenants in situ again though.

Replacing bath with shower depends on your market. I've also done a couple of those lately (section 24 again!).
      But don't do it as the cheaper option, it'll look tat and lower the rental value/property price. Go to town on it with a walk in shower, full tiling, lighting, top quality fittings etc. It cost me around double of an average bath & suite change.

Comment

I've done it too with tenants in situ and it comes with all sorts of problems! Had to replaster a wall which came off with the tiles - that added several days whilst it dried; toilet had to be replumbed in every night - so it creates extra work, but if your tenant is longterm and wants it done it is possible. Much easier in an empty property though!

I'd be careful about not having a bath - it will put quite a lot of tenants off. If your market is students or young people you may get away with it but who doesn't like a long soak if only occasionally?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X