• Show
Clear All

• Ingawilliams
    replied
    We are ventilating with open windows

Leave a comment:

• Berlingogirl
    replied
    Your photo looks like it's more than a mould problem. It looks like water running down the wall. My tenant had this problem due to a split in the lead guttering. This made rainwater run down the internal walls right down the bedroom wall and into the room below. This was clearly and obviously a failure in the building. Another time, in the same property, when I was living there, the flashing had failed and the water dripped onto my daughter's pillow which became soaked. When we woke up in the morning I thought she'd just been sweating but her hair was soaked and so was her pillow. When I picked her pillow up the water ran out of it like a tap. There is a clear difference between these issues and mould caused by lack of ventilation.

In the minging bungalow (I got it back filthy from the Ts) there was evidence of moisture running down the walls - it had left streaks down the nicotine stained walls and was still wet when I got the property back. The Ts never opened the windows or sufficiently aired the property. So waster running down the walls is not always a failure in the property's structure.

Leave a comment:

• MdeB
    replied
    Originally posted by Policy reader View Post

Where will you dry your cloth if you living above commercials on 1st or 2nd floor with no balcony rather only windows??
    • Tumble drier (vented to outside, or condensing)
    • Bathroom with window open and door closed.
    • Local launderette
    NOT so that the moisture gets into any other part of the property (eg on radiators in lounge, or bathroom with door open).

Leave a comment:

• Ingawilliams
    replied
    Originally posted by AlexR View Post

I had problems with tenants complaining about mould . I found that I had gutters emptying onto brickwork due to blockage by leaves and broken chimney flashings. The pictures of the water streaming down the walls could also be a leak in the loft ; is there a tank with a leak, broken pipe or overflow or a broken roof tile up there ?

After I fixed the gutters and roof the mould problems went away.
    Was checked no leak no missing tiles. No gutters on that side as it's the highest roof top. No tanks no pipe.

Leave a comment:

• Ingawilliams
    replied

Clear poor roof insulation. Just report to council and show them these pictures.
    Reported today and they say it's only condemnation due to lack heating and ventilation

Leave a comment:

• AlexR
    replied
    Originally posted by jpkeates View Post

There isn't a single landlord reading this that doesn't think that 99.99999% of instances of mould are caused by drying clothes indoors and showering without ventilation.
    I had problems with tenants complaining about mould . I found that I had gutters emptying onto brickwork due to blockage by leaves and broken chimney flashings. The pictures of the water streaming down the walls could also be a leak in the loft ; is there a tank with a leak, broken pipe or overflow or a broken roof tile up there ?

After I fixed the gutters and roof the mould problems went away.

Leave a comment:

• Ingawilliams
    replied
    Write to your local MP as well to speed up the council remedial action

Have contacted them. Thank you didn't even knew this is what I can do.

Leave a comment:

• Ingawilliams
    replied
    Little_Fish,

He did came to check outside that wall that causing the most problem as you can clearly see bricks damaged.

we do ventilate the mouse and have 2 dehumidifiers. Neighbors actually laughed only us have windows wide open down the street.

Already contacted EHO by email waiting for the answer what they have to say.

Looks like we left with no choise. Is there any chance to try ask agency to let landlord off this fee and all agree mutually like landlord lets us go not paying 5 months rent just this fee where I think he just fullishly agreed to pay.

thank you for you help, appreciate it.

Leave a comment:

• Ingawilliams
    replied
    Also we moving out on 2nd February. Spend all month battling and getting now where as all agency want just money and ignores why we say we leaving early.

Leave a comment:

• Ingawilliams
    replied
    Sorry what is local MP

Leave a comment:

• Little_Fish
    replied
    OP, I can sympathise with you here, the pictures you have provided indicate a failure of insulation within the structure. It is possible that the insulation in the cavity wall has become a cold bridge allowing moisture ingress from outside to reach the inner wall. IMHO it looks like condensation running down the wall.

The wall is cold due to the cold bridge effect.
    The air inside the property is warm and humid due to lack of ventilation
    This combination will indeed result in condensation. The higher the humidity, the more the condensation.

The landlord has an obligation to fix this. Unfortunately only the EHO can condemn the property as uninhabitable. I recommend to my tenants that in addition to using the extractor facilities in the Kitchen and bathroom that they also open windows and doors frequently for a rapid change of air with the property. Without the change of air in the property you are likely to have a build up of moisture which must go somewhere. Cold spots on walls are ideal for turning airborne vapour into condensate.

If you decide that the property does not meet your expected standard and want to break the tenancy contract, you are still bound by the terms of the contract and any variation agreed with the landlord. If it is a 12 month contract with no documented break, you are liable to pay for the 12 month term of the tenancy.

If you have managed to negotiate an exit from the tenancy with a small re-let charge, you may want to consider paying the charge and moving on. In doing so you will not be in breach of contract and you can find a property that meets your expectations.
    To try and argue the case is likely to cause stress and potentially legal fees depending on how far you want to argue this case.

Leave a comment:

• Policy reader
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Ingawilliams
    replied

Clear poor roof insulation. Just report to council and show them these pictures.
    I did they did nothing about it. Just add me on list for housing

and he still have cheekiness to ask us to pay re-let fee?! When it's clearly his foult we are leaving tenancy earlier so he can fix it or not it's his problem now

Leave a comment:

• Ingawilliams
    replied
    Many times by default the tenant is blamed for dump/mould due to their lifestyle which isn't always correct because a lot of times that happens due to poor insulation or insufficient heating system. If the property is not safe or fit to live then even the landlord can be dragged to court. Remind the landlord his obligation and more likely he won't ask ever any fee and let you go.[/LIST]
    https://scotland.shelter.org.uk/get_...tenancy_rights
    After dr mould visit in 2018 December he was advised to put vents in master bedroom windows as has none. He didn't. Also kitchen has no extractor.

One day he came round to look outside the house specifically at the walls where bricks actually fading away so he had to paint some paint to protect them from rotting

Leave a comment:

• Policy reader
    replied

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X