Mould and damp, landlord wants re-let fee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post

There isn't a single landlord reading this that doesn't think that 99.99999% of instances of mould are caused by drying clothes indoors and showering without ventilation.
    I had problems with tenants complaining about mould . I found that I had gutters emptying onto brickwork due to blockage by leaves and broken chimney flashings. The pictures of the water streaming down the walls could also be a leak in the loft ; is there a tank with a leak, broken pipe or overflow or a broken roof tile up there ?

After I fixed the gutters and roof the mould problems went away.

Comment

Originally posted by Policy reader View Post

Clear poor roof insulation. Just report to council and show them these pictures.
      Reported today and they say it's only condemnation due to lack heating and ventilation

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post

I had problems with tenants complaining about mould . I found that I had gutters emptying onto brickwork due to blockage by leaves and broken chimney flashings. The pictures of the water streaming down the walls could also be a leak in the loft ; is there a tank with a leak, broken pipe or overflow or a broken roof tile up there ?

After I fixed the gutters and roof the mould problems went away.
        Was checked no leak no missing tiles. No gutters on that side as it's the highest roof top. No tanks no pipe.

Comment

Originally posted by Policy reader View Post

Where will you dry your cloth if you living above commercials on 1st or 2nd floor with no balcony rather only windows??
          • Tumble drier (vented to outside, or condensing)
          • Bathroom with window open and door closed.
          • Local launderette
          NOT so that the moisture gets into any other part of the property (eg on radiators in lounge, or bathroom with door open).

Comment

Your photo looks like it's more than a mould problem. It looks like water running down the wall. My tenant had this problem due to a split in the lead guttering. This made rainwater run down the internal walls right down the bedroom wall and into the room below. This was clearly and obviously a failure in the building. Another time, in the same property, when I was living there, the flashing had failed and the water dripped onto my daughter's pillow which became soaked. When we woke up in the morning I thought she'd just been sweating but her hair was soaked and so was her pillow. When I picked her pillow up the water ran out of it like a tap. There is a clear difference between these issues and mould caused by lack of ventilation.

In the minging bungalow (I got it back filthy from the Ts) there was evidence of moisture running down the walls - it had left streaks down the nicotine stained walls and was still wet when I got the property back. The Ts never opened the windows or sufficiently aired the property. So waster running down the walls is not always a failure in the property's structure.

Comment

We are ventilating with open windows

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X