Mould and damp, landlord wants re-let fee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Of course, these things on their own they don't cause black mould, unless taken to excess, or too many people in the property. Can you breathe, yawn, snore, and fart at the same time? I just tried this and distributed my internal organs over three counties. I need to keep my windows open next Burns Night.

Comment

Originally posted by Berlingogirl View Post
      Can you breathe, yawn, snore, and fart at the same time?.
      Almost as soon as I hit my late 50's it's more a question of how do I stop it happening?
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
        Almost as soon as I hit my late 50's it's more a question of how do I stop it happening?
        It's more of a problem when you don't realise you're doing it!

Comment

Not on their own they don't.

I do all of those things, often simultaneously and my home has zero damp and no mould.
          I do, however, keep the place well ventilated.
          I think all these omissions cause mould depending on individual velocity & depth which varies person (landlord/tenant) to person (landlord/tenant).

Comment

Originally posted by Kape65 View Post

It's more of a problem when you don't realise you're doing it!
            Don't think all farting or drying clothes would make this much damp to run down the walls from the attic

Comment

There are two different problems here.

You have a fixed term and want to leave early. The landlord is agreeing this with a condition that you pay a fee. The fee seems reasonable.

You want to end the fixed term early because the property sounds unhabitable. Presumably you haven't involved the council so far.

You might find that if you offer to the agent that if they make a charge you will contact the environmental health department, they might waive it.
              When break clause comes to an end? When we agree re-let fee to be deducted from deposit and agree to sign surrender form?

I am struggling to understand if they actually breaking low here or just being cheeky and using us to pay it as agency won't leave landlord to end payments like he did agreed with us not to pay 5 months rent. He just fullishly agreed to agent? Can I ask agent to let him of this fee? Seem unfair if we pay it and they will get tenants next month in and they will get money from them too. Double.

is it possible to ring deposit protection scheme and ask them not to allow agency to deduct the fee? Then agency will try to get it from us in person?

Comment

Clear poor roof insulation. Just report to council and show them these pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by Policy reader View Post
                  Many times by default the tenant is blamed for dump/mould due to their lifestyle which isn't always correct because a lot of times that happens due to poor insulation or insufficient heating system. If the property is not safe or fit to live then even the landlord can be dragged to court. Remind the landlord his obligation and more likely he won't ask ever any fee and let you go.[/LIST]
                  https://scotland.shelter.org.uk/get_...tenancy_rights
                  After dr mould visit in 2018 December he was advised to put vents in master bedroom windows as has none. He didn't. Also kitchen has no extractor.

One day he came round to look outside the house specifically at the walls where bricks actually fading away so he had to paint some paint to protect them from rotting

Comment

Clear poor roof insulation. Just report to council and show them these pictures.
                    I did they did nothing about it. Just add me on list for housing

and he still have cheekiness to ask us to pay re-let fee?! When it's clearly his foult we are leaving tenancy earlier so he can fix it or not it's his problem now

Comment

Write to your local MP as well to speed up the council remedial action

Comment

OP, I can sympathise with you here, the pictures you have provided indicate a failure of insulation within the structure. It is possible that the insulation in the cavity wall has become a cold bridge allowing moisture ingress from outside to reach the inner wall. IMHO it looks like condensation running down the wall.

The wall is cold due to the cold bridge effect.
                        The air inside the property is warm and humid due to lack of ventilation
                        This combination will indeed result in condensation. The higher the humidity, the more the condensation.

The landlord has an obligation to fix this. Unfortunately only the EHO can condemn the property as uninhabitable. I recommend to my tenants that in addition to using the extractor facilities in the Kitchen and bathroom that they also open windows and doors frequently for a rapid change of air with the property. Without the change of air in the property you are likely to have a build up of moisture which must go somewhere. Cold spots on walls are ideal for turning airborne vapour into condensate.

If you decide that the property does not meet your expected standard and want to break the tenancy contract, you are still bound by the terms of the contract and any variation agreed with the landlord. If it is a 12 month contract with no documented break, you are liable to pay for the 12 month term of the tenancy.

If you have managed to negotiate an exit from the tenancy with a small re-let charge, you may want to consider paying the charge and moving on. In doing so you will not be in breach of contract and you can find a property that meets your expectations.
                        To try and argue the case is likely to cause stress and potentially legal fees depending on how far you want to argue this case.

Comment

Sorry what is local MP

Comment

Also we moving out on 2nd February. Spend all month battling and getting now where as all agency want just money and ignores why we say we leaving early.

Comment

Little_Fish,

He did came to check outside that wall that causing the most problem as you can clearly see bricks damaged.

we do ventilate the mouse and have 2 dehumidifiers. Neighbors actually laughed only us have windows wide open down the street.

Already contacted EHO by email waiting for the answer what they have to say.

Looks like we left with no choise. Is there any chance to try ask agency to let landlord off this fee and all agree mutually like landlord lets us go not paying 5 months rent just this fee where I think he just fullishly agreed to pay.

thank you for you help, appreciate it.

Comment

Have contacted them. Thank you didn't even knew this is what I can do.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                                X