Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Policy reader View Post
    Official guidance: SHELTER
    You realise that Shelter are a charity that campaigns for end of homelessness and bad accommodation. Whilst there is a vast amount of excellent information, it can not be said to be official guidance as they are not lawmakers. They can certainly lobby Government for change, but unless what they say is backed up by law (I've not looked in to what you have said), then it is not official guidance.

Official guidance would come from .gov.uk websites (such as http://www.legislation.gov.uk/)

Comment

Where will you dry your cloth if you living above commercials on 1st or 2nd floor with no balcony rather only windows??
      A laundrette?

There's no obligation for a UK dwelling house to offer facilities for washing clothes at all.

Shelter is a housing charity, it's advice is frequently wrong or cleverly worded to give a misleading impression.

Case in point: "Your landlord shouldn’t make unreasonable demands. For example, asking you to dry your clothes outside when you don’t have access to an outdoor space."

A) there is no tenant on earth who doesn't have "access to an outside space". It may not be suitable for drying clothes, but there's a whole shedload of "outside".
      B)Your landlord probably shouldn't tell you where to dry your clothes if it's impossible, but that doesn't mean (as Shelter are trying to imply) that they can tell you that you can't dry your clothes in their property.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Its not just shelter but citizen advice bureau says same who work along with local council and different public & private departments.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/ho.../repairs-damp/

Comment

Damp & mould is one the obstacle which can't let the tenants to live safely which to some extent caused by tenant life style but most often due to poor heating system, cheap outworn insulation.
          It seems you have no evidence for that assertion.

Comment

Originally posted by DPT57 View Post

It seems you have no evidence for that assertion.
            Seems like you didn't click on the link provided and read carefully..

Comment

Its not just shelter but citizen advice bureau says same who work along with local council and different public & private departments.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/ho.../repairs-damp/
              Where does that web page say that a landlord has to allow you to dry your clothes inside their property?

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Seems like you didn't click on the link provided and read carefully..
                Yes I did and it doesn't say that the problem is "most often due to poor heating system, cheap outworn insulation."

Comment

Its mentioned there. Also remember that house act brought into force from march 2019 with more added responsibilities for landlord. Read below what govt website says:

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...sked-questions

Comment

Its mentioned there. Also remember that house act brought into force from march 2019 with more added responsibilities for landlord. Read below what govt website says:
                    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...sked-questions
                    There is nothing in that document, or the act itself, that requires any facilities for drying clothes (or washing them) in a rental property.

And while "it's mentioned" on the shelter website, the actual text - which you quoted - says "It can also be caused by poor insulation, or faulty heating and ventilation systems that are the responsibility of the landlord."

"Also be caused" is very far from "most often".

Comment

Well the shelter presented the same text with more expanded interpretation. If you disagree/dislike it then no harm in contacting them.

Comment

Condensing tumble dryers help.
                        Mrs Dingle

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Dingle View Post
                          Condensing tumble dryers help.
                          I quite agree. It must be condensing though as venting straight into the property will cause damp air to condense onto the coolest parts of the property and that will cause black mould.

Comment

Breathing/yawning/sneezing even farting cause mould/damp.

Comment

That's why windows need to be opened to let the damp out. Failing to do so will result in mould and bacterial growths. Fart mould growths? Lovely! https://qz.com/929920/do-you-contami...when-you-fart/

When I was at uni we tested various products from body parts, but nobody did farts! I wish I'd thought of that at the time. Not that girls fart, of course
                              Last edited by Berlingogirl; 27-01-2020, 17:14 PM. Reason: dyslexia

Comment

Not on their own they don't.

I do all of those things, often simultaneously and my home has zero damp and no mould.
                                I do, however, keep the place well ventilated.

There isn't a single landlord reading this that doesn't think that 99.99999% of instances of mould are caused by drying clothes indoors and showering without ventilation.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                                X