Deposit return when Tenant doesn't respond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deposit return when Tenant doesn't respond

Hi. Our tenant has moved out, broke a few things, including shower, which had to be repaired. Now we started a deposit return procedure with DPS and proposed the sum to repay. Ten days later tenant hasn't got back to us. How do we get hold of the money that we believe is due to us in such situation?

If the deposit is held in the DPS custodial scheme, after 14 days ( I think) you can start a single claim process.

That requires a document that they send you which requires that your identity is verified by a solicitor - which is a bit of a pain, but not too bad and should cost about £10 or so.

That basically reverses the normal process, the tenant is told what will happen, but if they don't respond, the money you have requested will be sent to you.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Also don't forget:
      Landlord's repair responsibilities

Your landlord is responsible for most repairs in your home. This applies to private landlords, councils and housing associations.

Their responsibilities include repairs to:
      • electrical wiring
      • gas pipes and boilers
      • heating and hot water
      • chimneys and ventilation
      • sinks, baths, toilets, pipes and drains
      • common areas including entrance halls and stairways
      • the structure and exterior of the building, including walls, stairs and bannisters, roof, external doors and windows

Your landlord should also redecorate if needed once the problem is fixed.

Your landlord is always responsible for these repairs even if your tenancy agreement says something different.
      https://england.shelter.org.uk/housi...es_for_repairs

Comment

The landlord has to repair things, but they can recover their costs from the tenant if the tenant has caused the damage being repaired.
        It's not a blank cheque for the tenant.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
          If the deposit is held in the DPS custodial scheme, after 14 days ( I think) you can start a single claim process.

That requires a document that they send you which requires that your identity is verified by a solicitor - which is a bit of a pain, but not too bad and should cost about £10 or so.

That basically reverses the normal process, the tenant is told what will happen, but if they don't respond, the money you have requested will be sent to you.
          Thank you. I do hope that it's more like £10 and not £50 for solicitor.

Comment

I think there's some kind of limit on how much they can charge for the service.

Comment

can the landlord claim for things that were broken during a viewing, but were replaced before the move out date?

Comment

No because there's nothing to claim for.

Comment

Originally posted by ayearinmx View Post
                  can the landlord claim for things that were broken during a viewing, but were replaced before the move out date?
                  Never heard that something broken during viewing unless something waiting when gets touched.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                  X