I'm a tenant and am worried about giving my LA current employer's contact details

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    I'm a tenant and am worried about giving my LA current employer's contact details

    My fiance and I have put down a holding fee on a property. Fiance has a high-paying, permanent new job in the town of the property. I recently started a job in my old city that I am keen to hang onto until I get a job in the new town. The Letting Agent understands that my intention is to get a new job in the new town and leave my current job.

    Fiance's job pays more than enough for him to cover the rent on his own with plenty to spare. His references are done and dusted and it's clear to the LA that he is the breadwinner.

    TBF my current job pays well also.

    I have plenty of referees - character reference, past employer, past landlord - who I feel comfortable with the LA contacting.

    I am just worried that a LA *in a different town* contacting my present employer may put me in bad footing in my present job. I wish to leave this job in April/May and swap to a job in the new town, but it's only January now - I feel that it's too early to appear to be leaving, and I don't want the Letting Agent to be put in an awkward position talking to my manager. I would never leave my current employer in the lurch.

    As my partner is fully capable of covering the rent & both of us have a good track history as tenants & employees, would this be a concern to you as a landlord/letting agent? How would you want a tenant in my position to explain this to you?

    I think something that's crucial is that this job isn't really related to the bills being paid as I am to leave it anyway and my fiance is paying the bills until I physically move in with him

    Edit: *hopeful, would-be tenant, not actual tenant*

    #2
    It's possible that the landlord has to have all occupants as tenants (it can be a condition of a mortgage or some insurance).
    If that's the case, there's no reason for the landlord not to carry out whatever checks they feel are needed - you're about to be in possession of an expensive asset and it's not easy to evict you.

    I'd be very wary of a potential tenant who didn't want me to contact their employer.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

    Comment


      #3
      You are equally entitled as tenant to require any checks on Landlord or agent.

      You don't have to agree to landlord's required checks.

      Landlord and/or agent don't have to agree to you as tenant required checks.

      Only if all involved are content will the tenancy be agreed.
      I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
        It's possible that the landlord has to have all occupants as tenants (it can be a condition of a mortgage or some insurance).
        If that's the case, there's no reason for the landlord not to carry out whatever checks they feel are needed - you're about to be in possession of an expensive asset and it's not easy to evict you.

        I'd be very wary of a potential tenant who didn't want me to contact their employer.
        Would you accept a guarantor and a reference from a past employer in lieu of one from a current employer?

        I really want this property but I really think it'll look bad to my current employer to receive a call which basically implies that I'm leaving soon, which isn't the case. I understand that it looks dodgy to the letting agent, and this is what I'm trying to work around.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by theartfullodger View Post
          You are equally entitled as tenant to require any checks on Landlord or agent.

          You don't have to agree to landlord's required checks.

          Landlord and/or agent don't have to agree to you as tenant required checks.

          Only if all involved are content will the tenancy be agreed.
          What would satisfy the letting agent RE tenant checks in lieu of a call to my current employer - a guarantor? Thanks for your response.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by tenantative View Post
            Would you accept a guarantor and a reference from a past employer in lieu of one from a current employer?
            The reference from your current employer confirms you are working and earn what you say you are, a reference from a previous employer wouldn't be much use.

            I don't do guarantors, but that's a personal choice.

            It's just going to be up to the landlord, some landlords would be happy for your fiance to be the sole tenant.

            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

            Comment


              #7
              I wouldnt personally take on:
              1) an adult resident in the property not listed as a tenant.
              2) Such a tenant working but not giving employment details.

              You are within your right to refuse it but then they are obviously within their rights to decline to issue you a tenancy,

              Any posts by myself are my opinion ONLY. They should never be taken as correct or factual without confirmation from a legal professional. All information is given without prejudice or liability.

              Comment


                #8
                To meet the requirements for entering into tenancy agreement the requirements need to relate to past & present instead future. You shouldn't have actually needed to tell your future plans. Also I don't think that letting agent will tell to your current employer that you will leave.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Policy reader View Post
                  To meet the requirements for entering into tenancy agreement the requirements need to relate to past & present instead future. You shouldn't have actually needed to tell your future plans. Also I don't think that letting agent will tell to your current employer that you will leave.
                  The issue is that if LA contacts employer then employer will realise their employee is moving to a different city and will do the math for themselves.

                  Personally I would just get your partner to rent the property in sole name and then move in with him.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    It's nearly February.
                    If the OP plans to leave in April, they're going to have to give notice in a month's time anyway.

                    This is a lot of stress about something that may not happen.

                    And if the employer is hacked off, they probably should be - they've recruited a new employee who's about to jump ship.
                    But they probably can't terminate someone's employment immediately.
                    Believing someone is about to leave isn't normally grounds for their dismissal.
                    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

                    Comment


                      #11
                      While completing the job reference, I don't think that letting agent will give full address of the property to present employer then how they know that where you are moving actually??

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by tenantative View Post

                        What would satisfy the letting agent RE tenant checks in lieu of a call to my current employer - a guarantor? Thanks for your response.
                        That's entirely up to the landlord/agent. There are no rules or standard approaches: My best ever tenant came with no checks or references apart from a neighbour who said "Mr Artful, they very nice people" - and they were!

                        Good luck
                        I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Policy reader View Post
                          While completing the job reference, I don't think that letting agent will give full address of the property to present employer then how they know that where you are moving actually??
                          Ordinarily I’d agree, but the name of the letting agent in question includes the place name as an adjective...

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Kape65 View Post

                            The issue is that if LA contacts employer then employer will realise their employee is moving to a different city and will do the math for themselves.

                            Personally I would just get your partner to rent the property in sole name and then move in with him.
                            This is pretty much the issue. If I leave the job in May, this is telling my employer over two months early that my move is imminent.

                            As to other things:

                            I would’ve thought that the reason for a current employment reference is to ensure a cash flow will be coming in that affords the rent; if a) my fiancé earns enough to do this comfortably on his own and b) I’ll leave this job in the semi-near future, will seeking a reference from my employer even provide this kind of assurance? It seems that at this point it wouldn’t be much different to character references from past letting agents and longer-term employers...

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by tenantative View Post

                              Ordinarily I’d agree, but the name of the letting agent in question includes the place name as an adjective...
                              Many letting agent has branches in different cities/towns. I m sure that employer more likely won't know.

                              Comment

                              Latest Activity

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X