Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inventory Check Out Fee

Hi
    I rent a property using estate agent to find tenants and collect rent. I had a tenant from Feb 2018 to Oct 2019. The AST was done by the agent, states landlord pays inventory check in and tenants pay the inventory check out fees. The contract was signed pre June 2019 legislation where tenant fees were banned.
    The agent recently deducted the check out fee from new tenant's monthly rent. I have called them and emailed several times and still waiting. Am I right that I should not pay the check out fee as per the contract signed which was before June 2019?

Unless the agreement between you and the agent says anything different, it does sounds wrong.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I had no deal with the agent.The previous tenant left, deposit held at DPS was returned after deduction for minor damages.

Comment

You must have some kind of agreement with the agent, they're providing services to you that you're paying for.
        You've agreed to something, presumably the agent has standard terms and conditions at least.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

The AST contract set up by the agent states: "The Tenant agrees to contribute £144.00 including VAT towards professional inventory, check in and check out costs."
          The check in and check out inventories are £144 each. The agent were collecting the rent from the tenant and transferring it to my account after deducting their monthly commission.
          What sort of agreement will override this?!

Comment

You have a contract of some kind with the agent, that won't affect the tenancy agreement, but may contradict it or have other terms covering the same subject.

It's just something you should check before talking to the agent.

Comment

i have recently had a tenant leave (Nov 2019) with similar issues. "The AST was done by the agent, states landlord pays inventory check in and tenants pay the inventory check out fees. " My tenants check out inventory fee was deducted from their deposit as per the clause in the AST we all signed prior to the No Tenant Fees legislation. There was not problem.

Comment

Update:
                After few more calls and emails, the agent admitted they were wrong and refunded the fees. Result.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X