• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DPT57
    replied
    Originally posted by JK0 View Post
    We've only got 3 months guys!
    Only for new tenancies, not existing. I also think its not going to be a local authority priority to do much about a breach at the moment either, even if the tenant brings it to their attention. I understand that they have to serve a remedial notice requiring the work done within 28 days, but I don't think this has to be an Improvement Notice, so s21 shouldn't be affected. The landlord can also make written representations to them about the notice within 21 days of receipt, and I would have thought that a landlord who says they've been delayed due to CV19 would be sympathetically heard.

Leave a comment:

• JK0
    replied
    FTA: Did anyone manage to get an EICR before the lockdown?

The reason I ask, is that if this requirement comes in as planned on 1st July, will you have been able to get an electrician out and done any 'necessary improvements' by then?

We've only got 3 months guys!

Leave a comment:

• JK0
    replied
    I just heard from the electrician I booked to do the EICR at my house in London tomorrow. He wants to postpone it as my tenants are all there working from home.

In view of this, it's going to be difficult, to say the least, to get 14 properties inspected and upgraded by next April. I wonder if TPTB can be prevailed upon to forget about this legislation for the time being?

Leave a comment:

• JK0
    replied
    Okay, this is the version without the electrician's estimate:

I asked my agent to get EICR's for two of my flats here in Reading. Rather than provide them they sent two estimates. The higher one was £995. They say that if I don't accept that, they will send a failed EICR in two weeks time.

I'm so waiting for Bojo to get this sort of blackmail.

Leave a comment:

• JK0
    replied
    Originally posted by DPT57 View Post
    I think you need to redact that image so that the suppliers details are not visible
    I'm not naming & shaming someone. It's a quote someone's willingly sent me. Nevertheless I will try.

Leave a comment:

• DPT57
    replied
    I think you need to redact that image so that the suppliers details are not visible

Leave a comment:

• JK0
    replied
    Originally posted by MdeB View Post
    Just because some bod in the PM's office says something, that does not mean that a court will interpret the regulations in the same way.
    Yup.

I think I will have trouble even complying with the law as it is intended to read, never mind how a judge may see it.

I begin to see this as a way of making laws that no-one can comply with, as a way of gradually making a landlord's life impossible. The only way a property would comply with 2018 electrical standards is for it to have been built since 2018.

Leave a comment:

• MdeB
    replied
    Just because some bod in the PM's office says something, that does not mean that a court will interpret the regulations in the same way.

Leave a comment:

• ATC
    replied
    Originally posted by TREK View Post
    Thank you JKO for posting this letter and shedding some light on the situation great work.
    The letter was actually sent to me, thanks JK0 for compressing it so that it could be uploaded to the forum. I didn't know how to do so

Leave a comment:

• JK0
    replied
    Originally posted by DPT57 View Post
    There seems to be a consensus growing around this point about the 18th wiring conditions not necessarily requiring an upgrade if the installation is safe. However, it does seem to give an awful lot of power to the individual Electrician carrying out the assessment. Does anyone know if there is a process of appeal or challenge if a landlord has concerns about their report?
    Indeed. I think ATC will forgive me mentioning that his electrician wanted to replace a 2012 consumer unit with a metal one, until he showed him the letter. He 'got away' with replacing all his recessed downlights and fitting surge protectors.

I believe electricians view EICR's as a 'loss-leader'. They do the job at a very low price, in the knowledge that they can scare the homeowner into authorising upgrades in the name of safety.

That they now have legal backing for this is outrageous.

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    Pay for another one?

Leave a comment:

• DPT57
    replied
    There seems to be a consensus growing around this point about the 18th wiring conditions not necessarily requiring an upgrade if the installation is safe. However, it does seem to give an awful lot of power to the individual Electrician carrying out the assessment. Does anyone know if there is a process of appeal or challenge if a landlord has concerns about their report?

Leave a comment:

• JK0
    replied
    We have also been working closely with the electrical safety industry...
    Talk about 'Jobs for the boys'!

I thought this lot were supposed to be Conservatives?

Leave a comment:

• jpucng62
    replied
    Yes - thanks for sharing. A great example of this Forum being a really positive tool.

Leave a comment:

• TREK
    replied
    Thank you JKO for posting this letter and shedding some light on the situation great work.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X