Electrical Safety Certificates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ATC View Post
    I wrote to the Prime Minister and have been trying to upload the letter in reply from the Ministry but unfortunately it is four times too many bytes. What they are basically saying is that it is not necessarily the case that your plastic consumer unit must be thrown away and replaced
    That's good to hear. I'll point that out to the electrician when he claims that it is.

Comment

if you send me your email address I will be delighted to send you the Ministry's letter, perhaps you can figure out a way to reduce it to a quarter of the number of bytes so that it can be uploaded to the forum

Comment

Originally posted by ATC View Post
        if you send me your email address I will be delighted to send you the Ministry's letter, perhaps you can figure out a way to reduce it to a quarter of the number of bytes so that it can be uploaded to the forum
        I have pm'd you.

Comment

Thanks. Letter below. I think even Blair would be ashamed of that being written in his name.

docu0012.jpg
          Attached Files

Comment

Thank you JKO for posting this letter and shedding some light on the situation great work.

Comment

Yes - thanks for sharing. A great example of this Forum being a really positive tool.

Comment

We have also been working closely with the electrical safety industry...
                Talk about 'Jobs for the boys'!

I thought this lot were supposed to be Conservatives?

Comment

There seems to be a consensus growing around this point about the 18th wiring conditions not necessarily requiring an upgrade if the installation is safe. However, it does seem to give an awful lot of power to the individual Electrician carrying out the assessment. Does anyone know if there is a process of appeal or challenge if a landlord has concerns about their report?

Comment

Pay for another one?
                    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by DPT57 View Post
                      There seems to be a consensus growing around this point about the 18th wiring conditions not necessarily requiring an upgrade if the installation is safe. However, it does seem to give an awful lot of power to the individual Electrician carrying out the assessment. Does anyone know if there is a process of appeal or challenge if a landlord has concerns about their report?
                      Indeed. I think ATC will forgive me mentioning that his electrician wanted to replace a 2012 consumer unit with a metal one, until he showed him the letter. He 'got away' with replacing all his recessed downlights and fitting surge protectors.

I believe electricians view EICR's as a 'loss-leader'. They do the job at a very low price, in the knowledge that they can scare the homeowner into authorising upgrades in the name of safety.

That they now have legal backing for this is outrageous.

Comment

Originally posted by TREK View Post
                        Thank you JKO for posting this letter and shedding some light on the situation great work.
                        The letter was actually sent to me, thanks JK0 for compressing it so that it could be uploaded to the forum. I didn't know how to do so

Comment

Just because some bod in the PM's office says something, that does not mean that a court will interpret the regulations in the same way.

Comment

Originally posted by MdeB View Post
                            Just because some bod in the PM's office says something, that does not mean that a court will interpret the regulations in the same way.
                            Yup.

I think I will have trouble even complying with the law as it is intended to read, never mind how a judge may see it.

I begin to see this as a way of making laws that no-one can comply with, as a way of gradually making a landlord's life impossible. The only way a property would comply with 2018 electrical standards is for it to have been built since 2018.

Comment

I think you need to redact that image so that the suppliers details are not visible

Comment

Originally posted by DPT57 View Post
                                I think you need to redact that image so that the suppliers details are not visible
                                I'm not naming & shaming someone. It's a quote someone's willingly sent me. Nevertheless I will try.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                                X