Electrical Safety Certificates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical Safety Certificates

I have tenants who have been renting a property off me and the ast expires in may this year, they will be renewing the ast for another 6 months this may and then for another 6 months in november, at what time will a safety certificate be needed, will it be April 1st 2020 or April 1st 2021?

It will probably be when the tenant renews with a new AST in November (assuming the legislation passes).
    It may not apply to "follow on" tenancies, but it's hard to know at this point.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Funnily enough I was looking at this situation only yesterday. As I read it the requirements say you will need an EPC from April 2020. If your EPC runs out in November you won't have an EPC so it will need renewing.

Comment

Why are you 'renewing' the tenancy rather than allowing it to become periodic?

Comment

Originally posted by Berlingogirl View Post
          Funnily enough I was looking at this situation only yesterday. As I read it the requirements say you will need an EPC from April 2020. If your EPC runs out in November you won't have an EPC so it will need renewing.
          Further to this, I asked the EPC assessor who came round today and he said you do need a valid EPC from April 2020. You shouldn't let your EPC run out.

Comment

Originally posted by Berlingogirl View Post

Further to this, I asked the EPC assessor who came round today and he said you do need a valid EPC from April 2020. You shouldn't let your EPC run out.
            I thought the EPC was needed only at the start of a tenancy.

Comment

An EPC is NOT an Electrical Safety Cert!

Comment

Originally posted by TREK View Post
                I have tenants who have been renting a property off me and the ast expires in may this year, they will be renewing the ast for another 6 months this may and then for another 6 months in november, at what time will a safety certificate be needed, will it be April 1st 2020 or April 1st 2021?
                An electrical safety certificate is not routinely required

Comment

Originally posted by mariner View Post
                  An EPC is NOT an Electrical Safety Cert!
                  DOH! I didn't read the OP's post correctly. Sorry everyone, my mistake. I'm dyslexic

Comment

Originally posted by Section20z View Post
                    An electrical safety certificate is not routinely required
                    It will be from July 1st.
                    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

For all NEW tenancies from 1st July 2020

For ALL tenancies from 1st July 2021

Comment

For those of us who are law nerds, this is going to be an interesting bit of legal process.

What's being proposed is that the new regulation is a statutory instrument, not an actual "law".
                        Which means that it won't be debated in parliament (it might be but it doesn't have to be) or passed through the various readings and reviews including scrutiny by the House of Lords.

It's a parliamentary process which is meant to be used for minor bits of business (like deciding the start date of some legislation or changing a deadline from 14 days to 28 days) being used for something completely different.
                        Which means it's likely to be a bit of a disaster - because no one will have the chance to point out any flaws with the law.

One possible consequence with the law as proposed is that every single tenancy in England may need to be ended while every property is re-wired to bring the internal wiring up to standard.

Comment

Secondary legislation is used for a lot more than minor changes. A lot of Acts are simply enabling measures, with most of the details provided by secondary legislation, e.g. building regulations are, as their name implied, defined by regulations, and regulations are secondary legislation. The key fire safety law, that applies to communal areas of flats is also defined by secondary legislation.

Acts can specify whether the secondary legislation authorised by the Act is or is not subject to negative resolution. If not, it must be voted on by parliament. If it is, parliament can veto it, but it goes through by default.

Comment

jpkeates,

I think it's time for a landlords' strike, isn't it?

How about if none of us comply? (Not that it will be easy to comply anyway.) They can't lock us all up!

Comment

I'm getting so combobbolationed that I hardly know my ar*e from my elbow.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Letting Agent - Finders fee - New Tenants
                                by BeccyP
                                Hello,
                                New here so please forgive if I'm doing something wrong..

We employed a Letting Agent to find us new tenants for a one off 'Finders Fee'...We shall then manage property ourselves.
                                Letting Agent has found us new tenants - I'm due to meet and greet next week and hand over...
                                09-08-2020, 00:33 AM
                              • Reply to Does employment tribunal case affect credit/reference check
                                by ash72
                                It will not affect your credit file, but will affect your reference checks when your employer is asked to confirm your employment details, and salary this will then affect you, even if your employer does not provide the correct information your wage slip would either confirm or support your income.
                                08-08-2020, 19:17 PM
                              • Does employment tribunal case affect credit/reference check
                                by Self sufficient
                                Hi folks

Perhaps nobody has ever asked that question because majority here perceptibly seems investors/businessmen. The question is that if someone who is relying currently to live in private rented properties whilst having a plan to buy his own home in future but currently fighting in...
                                08-08-2020, 15:14 PM
                              • Reply to Ccj
                                by ChrisDennison
                                Funny enough only the defendant receives a copy of the default judgment, the claimant normally doesn't. You can request it from the court though, if it's a claim issued via the CCBC or CCMCC just call them and they will email it to you. If it's a local county court hearing centre call them too and they'll...
                                08-08-2020, 18:28 PM
                              • Ccj
                                by Perce
                                Hello

Does anybody know how long it takes to get judgement once you submit a request for judgement ?
                                23-07-2020, 21:01 PM
                              • Reply to Who Gives a Fig About The Council
                                by ChrisDennison
                                Maybe therein lies the problem, because different races certainly don't necessarily mean different people....
                                08-08-2020, 18:22 PM
                              • Who Gives a Fig About The Council
                                by landlord-man
                                Something which keeps cropping up which I don't for the life of me understand.

Put into words by this recent quote on the Forum

It grieves me to hear again and again and again where tenants with huge arrears are evicted solely with s21, local council not informed of arrears...
                                05-08-2020, 14:55 PM
                              • Reply to First time landlord making mistakes
                                by ChrisDennison
                                Well, central heating systems (district or local) don't normally mean tenants have no control over their heating. They will normally still have TRVs on their radiators and a heat meter which tracks usage....
                                08-08-2020, 18:18 PM
                              • First time landlord making mistakes
                                by Bhups
                                Hello,

I'm a first time landlord who has make a few BIG mistakes and would like advise on what I can do to help me out.

I've got a double story extension on the side of the property where the garage would normally be (semi-detached home).
                                I've converted the side with...
                                07-08-2020, 11:06 AM
                              • Reply to Ccj
                                by Perce
                                The eviction company sent me just the Notice of Judgement Entered but should not they also send me the Judgement for Claimant and Defendant stating how much the tenant owes me ? I understand HCEO will need this piece of paper....
                                08-08-2020, 18:15 PM
                              Working...
                              X