Confidentiality breach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confidentiality breach?

Have I breached any laws (GDPR, Data Protection etc) by passing my ex-tenants name and email address to a neighbour regarding a dispute?

My ex-tenant verbally permitted that this was ok, but it was not permitted in writing. I do have a witness to this conversation when the permission was given but my tenant is now questioning the neighbour about how they got his contact details.

I'm guessing he's going to suggested I've breach some confidentiality laws or something?

Any advice would be helpful

What does your GDPR statement say about how you will treat tenant details?

Comment

You almost certainly have. Does it say in your privacy doc that you can share the info with neighbours?

However, you have a witness. I'd get the witness to write a statement about the incidence before they forget - date, time etc. - just in case anything comes if it.

Comment

If the tenant permitted you to give their details to the neighbour why is he questioning the neighbour about where they got the information from?
        That doesn't make sense.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
          If the tenant permitted you to give their details to the neighbour why is he questioning the neighbour about where they got the information from?
          That doesn't make sense.
          Agreed - something doesn't add up!

However to answer the technical question , if this happened as outlined the short answer is no. If you have shared this with consent then this is permitted. Verbal consent is fine in theory, the issue obviously is proving it.

In practice even if a technical breach has occurred, a technical breach doesn't constitute (for example) a breach that should or would be due any compensation or indeed any other form of con sequence. The ICO have much bigger issues than this to deal with and in truth the release of a name and email address whilst technically PII is not sensitive data (as defined in gdpr}.

I wouldn't worry about it.
          ​​​​​​
          ​​​​​​
          ​​​​​
          Any posts by myself are my opinion ONLY. They should never be taken as correct or factual without confirmation from a legal professional. All information is given without prejudice or liability.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X