Criminal Damage

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Criminal Damage

    My tenant called up to say that there were some kids who have chucked glass over the wall and damaged the front door. I told her to speak to the police as there have been a number of incidents around the area lately. She has a crime reference number.

    Please can someone tell me who has to fix the door? Would it be me or as she is in charge of the house would she be liable for it? It's a upvc door so it is just a panel that needs fixing. My husband and father in law think that she should do it, but I'm not sure.

    Please can someone give me some clarification?

  • #2
    Sec 11 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 means that you should keep in repair the structure and outside of the property. I believe the front door is part of the structure of the property. Even if you argue it's not part of the structure of the property then by not repairing it you are probably hindering the tenants enjoyment of their property and should do the repair to avoid any possible consequences this may bring.


    • #3
      The damage is not of the tenants doing, hence the LL should complete the repairs.


      Latest Activity