How to end a joint tenancy at the end of the fixed term contract

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im not suggesting you should do it, but it's not that hard to find a replacement tenant these days. If you advertise your room on Spareroom and Gumtree you would probably get responses.

Comment

You need to carefully read all agreement terms than you can get the right way

Comment

Originally posted by jinxirony View Post
        As you have entered into a joint Assured Shorthold Tenancy, legally the tenancy will only end if you both vacate the property at the end of your tenancy If other tenant wishes to remain in the property, a replacement tenant is to be found in order to remove you from the lease.
        That is not correct.
        • The tenancy ends at the end of the term regardless.
        • If "the tenant" remains in occupation, then a statutory periodic tenancy arises; this is a new tenancy (Housing Act 1988 Section 5(2). You have already advised that you do not agree to be party to any tenancy after the fixed term ends.
        • The Housing Act 1988 says "the tenant" means "all the individuals that comprise a joint tenant" (Section 45(3).
        • Therefore if you vacate before the end of the fixed term "the tenant" has not remained in occupation.

I suggest that you put that to the agent and see how agent responds.

Comment

Hello, thank you for your reply.

Quick update.
          My joint tenant said that he is going to enter a new AST with his friend (hopefully it will happen).
          In order to release me from the existing contract do I need any confirmation/agreement in writing from Landlord/Agent or(and) from my joint tenant?

Comment

Ideally, yes - confirmation from the landlord/agent would be helpful.

But if the landlord/agent agrees a new tenancy agreement with new tenants for the property, it would be obvious that your previous agreement had come to an end (because the new tenant would be in the property, paying rent and you wouldn't).
            And I'm not really sure what the confirmation would be any use if the new tenancy didn't happen for some reason.
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Tell the landlord and your flatmate that you will serve notice when hhe tenancy becomes periodic just in case but are prepared to move before the end of the notice if the new tenant wants your room.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Can I claim rent reduction due to building noise and landlord’s misrepresentation ??
                by jpkeates
                You have rights under consumer law if there were things that would have led you (or any reasonable person) to make a different purchasing decision that you were not advised of.
                It's called a misleading omission.
                The legislation that covers it is Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations...
                07-07-2022, 13:52 PM
              • Can I claim rent reduction due to building noise and landlord’s misrepresentation ??
                by A.Renter
                I started renting a ‘studio apartment’ (i.e. a bedsit) in January this year in a three-storey 1930s block – residents are a mix of renters and leaseholders. I am considering asking for rent reduction due to two main issues:
                1. Upon moving in I noticed that there is no way to turn off the radiator, as
                06-07-2022, 16:41 PM
              • Reply to Choosing tenants
                by ash72
                Based on the information, I would pick the one with the highest salary, as they will be able to afford the property and the costs of running the property. If you haven't already I would ask them why they are leaving the property they are currently renting - this provides good insight.

And...
                07-07-2022, 13:51 PM
              • Choosing tenants
                by annam222
                Hi all,
                I advertised my flat on OpenRent (for the first time) and received 90 viewing requests in a few days (I have removed the advert now).
                I set up an automated reply to all enquires with a list of 10 questions, then picked five potential tenants that ticked all the boxes. I called all...
                07-07-2022, 13:09 PM
              • Reply to Evicted and left a few bits
                by jpkeates
                Not unless there's a right of offset in the tenancy agreement.
                There's no general right to offset in English law.

In reality, if the landlord did sell the belongings and claim the proceeds were to recover the cost of disposal (which the bailee is entitled to do), the tenant would...
                07-07-2022, 13:45 PM
              • Evicted and left a few bits
                by betsy2040
                I been evicted today and I’ve left a few bits of stuff ,

marble table and dining chairs , mattress 2 sofas ect ect boxes of stuff , curtains , few boxes of clothes and shoes , and sideboards and all my garden stuff

How long have I got to remove all this?...
                06-07-2022, 18:56 PM
              • Reply to Renters reform bill
                by jpkeates
                Magna Carta doesn't apply to us common people.

Your right to private property is in the Human Rights Act, though.
                And, ironically, our best protection is likely to be the amount of property that is owned by non-UK citizens, particularly companies.
                07-07-2022, 13:42 PM
              • Renters reform bill
                by flyingfreehold
                i have just read an interesting summary of all that is proposed in the EG (Estates Gazette). As drafted it effectively brings back a form of rent control as tenants will have the right to go to First Tier Tribunal to challenge any rent increases which must be proposed by section 13 notices.
                04-07-2022, 16:29 PM
                by AndrewDod
                Can't see any problem with asking for bank statements and landlord references from all of them right now. Also visit them in their current homes if possible. Don't be unfair and lead them on however - explain clearly that they are one of three possible candidates out of 90. Ask for copies of their current...
                07-07-2022, 13:42 PM
                by AndrewDod
                It depends. I have been picking people who I know (99.9%) will NOT want to stay in the UK for very long. Long term UK-based renters - way too much risk (of later imposed very low rates of rent, enforced property sales from some later lunatic government...).

Length of stay is a relatively...
                07-07-2022, 13:39 PM
              Working...
              X