Mould damage - worth claiming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mould damage - worth claiming?

Shortly before my tenant moved out they notified me of a serious mould issue I’m in one room (totally covering one wall and spreading on to two others). They were initially reminded of their obligation in the contract to clean up condensation and I suggested they use a mould removing spray before it caused damage to the paintwork. On visiting a few days later, it had not been cleaned and I decided it was a potential health hazard due to the volume so cleaned it off myself. This left marks on the walls which need repainting.

I have now identified that a slow leak in the room was the cause of the increased moisture in the room. However the tenant admitted that he let the problem get worse for several months before informing me. Paint and labour for redecoration and cleaning will be max £200 - do I have a chance claiming this from the deposit? If the tenant had notified me immediately I obviously would shoulder any cost, but the delay made it substantially worse.

If you haven't found that at the time when tenants were leaving rather found later then claiming anything will simply waste your time. Or still you can try your luck and maximum a reward of £25 you might get out of deposit by authorities. Also usually the inspection is carried out almost every 3 months so why you haven't noticed that then.

Comment

If the problem is structural you are expected to pick this up through inspections. I dont think a deposit claim would be successful although its def worth a try as the tenant failed to clean it off.

Comment

How is a 'slow leak' in any way the tenants fault?
        How were they supposed to notice it and inform you? (Other than by telling you about any damp/mould, which you admit they did).

You didn't investigate and simply blamed it on condensation, which you now admit wasn't the cause.

One of those things, leaks happen.
        Not your tenants fault, not your fault, but your responsibilty to pay for putting things right.

Comment

Just to clarify, I'm not talking about claiming costs for repairing the leak from the tenant. Had he notified me as soon as the mould became an issue, I wouldn't have charged him for cleaning it either. My issue is that he let it get to the stage where it was a health hazard causing damage to the paintwork, which would not have happened if they had i) cleaned off the mould, ii) informed me promptly - both of which he was required to do per the contract.

Comment

Originally posted by nukecad View Post
            How is a 'slow leak' in any way the tenants fault?
            How were they supposed to notice it and inform you? (Other than by telling you about any damp/mould, which you admit they did).

You didn't investigate and simply blamed it on condensation, which you now admit wasn't the cause.

One of those things, leaks happen.
            Not your tenants fault, not your fault, but your responsibilty to pay for putting things right.
            As above, the leak is in no way the tenant's fault. I visited within one working day of being notified of the issue, by which point the mould had spread across half the room - that I do think is the tenant's fault, and they admitted it had been building over several months. Sounds like it may not be worth the effort to claim though.

Comment

I don't think you'll be able to claim £200 for redecorating half a room. I doubt it's really worth claiming anything in this case as the moisture came from a fault not caused by the tenant, although they could have told you about it earlier.

Comment

I agree that tenant had a duty to notify you of the mould problem, or take action to remove the mould themselves, before it became serious.

How long ago was the room decorated?

I would expect to redecorate on change of tenant after 5 years, so claim 20% for each remaining year.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X