Council Getting Funny Over Return of Deposit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Council Getting Funny Over Return of Deposit

Last year we took on a tenant from the local council's Rent Assistance Scheme. Basically through the scheme the council provide a deposit for a tenant who otherwise can't afford one. The tenant left at the end of the tenancy owing a chunk of money (more than the deposit value) and so we withheld the deposit towards the debt. We've now received a letter from the council demanding the return of the deposit under threat of legal action. The agreement we signed regarding the deposit states that the deposit can be used to cover 'uninsured loss or damage'. I thought unpaid rent was an uninsured loss! Please could my fellow landlordzoners read the attached correspondence from the council and give me your opinions? If there's a solicitor amongst you that thinks I am in the right, would you be interested in representing me? Tje letter I received from the council is included in this post, but for some reason I'm only allowed to host one image in this post. To see the agreement in question please click on the following links (one link per page of the agreement):

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/f...2008_00001.jpg

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/f...2008_00002.jpg

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/f...2008_00003.jpg

The text of my reply to the solicior went as follows. Comments appreciated!:

Dear M*********,

I was passed your letter regarding the return of the deposit for the tenant ***** **** of ** ********* Square. Obviously, if possible, we would like to come to an amicable conclusion before we have to go to court to settle the matter. With this aim in mind, could I have some clarification from you regarding some points?

You refer to paragraph 3.16 as justification for us returning the deposit, but I don’t see how it fulfils that. My interpretation of the meaning of the paragraph is that a landlord agrees not to blame or seek compensation from the council if the tenant defaults. If your interpretation is correct and the words ‘the council cannot be held responsible for any default by the Tenant in performing the terms of the Tenancy Agreement’ actually mean ‘you cannot use the money provided if the Tenant defaults in performing the terms of the Tenancy Agreement’ then the whole agreement must be null and void, as one of the terms of the tenancy agreement is not to cause damage to the property.

I also draw your attention to paragraph 1.3 ‘The damage deposit represents the sum that would usually be required by the Landlord from the Tenant as a refundable deposit against uninsured loss or damage caused to the Property during the term of the Tenancy for which the tenant is responsible’. Unpaid rent is an uninsured loss. Also it is perfectly legal and acceptable to withhold a tenant’s deposit to cover money owed in unpaid rent and, despite your assertion to the contrary, I cannot see any specific exclusion of that legal right in this contract.

If you would be so good as to get back to me with further clarification I would be most grateful. If you feel we could clear things up better by talking on the telephone or face to face then please say so and I will contact you directly.

Kind regards,

I read Section 3.16 as the deposit being for damage only.
    I think you are stuffed on this one !
    Sorry.

Comment

Can I just point out that your attempts to render the scanned letters anonymous have failed completely?

Comment

As a casual observer it's an interesting one as 1.3 to me reads that the 'damage deposit' is the equivalent of the normal deposit that the tenant would normally pay and that 3.16 is stating that the Council cannot be persued in relation to any other breaches of the tenancy agreement that do not relate to the deposit.

1.3 The Damage deposit represents the sum that would usually be required by the Landlord from the Tenant as a refundable deposit against uninsured loss or damage caused to the Property during the term of the Tenancy for which the tenant is responsible

Comment

Is unpaid rent an uninsured loss?

Comment

I think the Landlord could argue quite legitimately that that's what he interpreted it as, it's not very clear.

Comment

Thanks for everyone's advice. Does anyboy know/have experience with a good property/comtract lawyer? Where's Jeffrey when you need him? :-)

Comment

Originally posted by greengriff View Post
                Where's Jeffrey when you need him? :-)
                If you wish to engage his services then send him a PM!

Comment

Originally posted by greengriff View Post
                  Thanks for everyone's advice. Does anyboy know/have experience with a good property/comtract lawyer? Where's Jeffrey when you need him? :-)
                  I do go home occasionally- can't stay at work permanently just for you lot.
                  JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                  1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                  2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                  3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                  4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Using a rental guarantee agency
                    by Luke
                    The agency guy made me an offer which was quite below the market rate , I was considering the offer and two days later he asked me what I have decided to do . I apologized for not replying earlier as I had been busy sorting my tenancy agreement out .
                    He replied "You MISUNDERSTOOD I gave...
                    24-09-2021, 08:34 AM
                  • Using a rental guarantee agency
                    by Luke
                    I am the LL to a three bedroom property in London which is currently empty as the previous tenants moved out .
                    I am having difficulty getting back to the U.K at the moment because I am abroad in a Covid red zone Country ,
                    I have contacted an agency who have visited the property and given...
                    22-09-2021, 11:54 AM
                  • Reply to S21 served expired EPC!
                    by Worriednow
                    Unfortunately I simply renewed the tenancy like I have been on a yearly basis. So when I last renewed with them I didn't give a EPC, we just renewed amicably. It's only since serving the S21 notice that I realised I should have given them the EPC when they renewed last year, except it had already expired...
                    24-09-2021, 08:25 AM
                  • S21 served expired EPC!
                    by Worriednow
                    Hi All
                    Hope you can help. I served a S21 notice on my tenants giving them 6 months notice to leave. The actual tenancy expired in August 2021 but with the Covid rules i had to give 6 months notice which means they have to be out by November.

The notice was served May this year but...
                    23-09-2021, 20:02 PM
                  • Reply to Utilities Account Manager
                    by michaelwgroves
                    I was with Spark for my home for several years, now park of OVO. I remember it was fine. I might call them to see what they can do...
                    24-09-2021, 08:20 AM
                  • Utilities Account Manager
                    by michaelwgroves
                    I have a large portfolio, I got tired of spending ours on the phone each week managing utilities between tenancies. I found a utility company that gave me a dedicated account team. I simply email the tenancy change and it gets sorted. However, there are a few challenges they are struggling to overcome,...
                    22-09-2021, 07:15 AM
                  • Reply to Dispute deposit based on damage that landlord didn't repair?
                    by Hooper
                    Sounds like a poor LL. But if the damage is not noted on check-in and is listed on check out, then rightly or wrongly the evidence is in LL favour, surely?

If there was damage at check-in and it was not noted on the report, then it is the tenant's responsibility to have the report amended....
                    24-09-2021, 08:08 AM
                  • Dispute deposit based on damage that landlord didn't repair?
                    by kankan
                    Hello everyone,

After signing the contract, but before moving in, the flat suffered some flood damage. 3 rooms needed repainting because of water stains and paint falling off.
                    We were promised that this will be taken care of after moving in. We followed up several times, but the repairs...
                    22-09-2021, 19:26 PM
                  • Reply to S21 served expired EPC!
                    by KTC
                    Did you give them a copy of it while it was valid, or only after it expired when you served the s21?

"The relevant person must ensure that a valid energy performance certificate has been given free of charge to the person who ultimately becomes the buyer or tenant."
                    24-09-2021, 07:58 AM
                  • Reply to What to do if letting agent stops to pay out
                    by jpkeates
                    Amended version....
                    24-09-2021, 07:58 AM
                  Working...
                  X