condensation/mould, who is responsible?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    condensation/mould, who is responsible?

    If there is condensation/mould build up around the walls of certain windows, who is responsible for its maintenance throughout the tenancy and if the tenants leave are they responsible for cleaning it off?painting it?

    the flat was provided mould free of course.

    thanks

    #2
    It really depends on the cause.
    The default is the tenant, unless that can show that the property is unsuitable for use and the mould is unevitable (usually due to lack of ventilation).

    Tenants will often claim that the mould is coming in from outside, which is next to impossible in real life.
    Damp will come through from outside, but it normally won't form mould.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

    Comment


      #3
      Boris? Corbyn?
      I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
        It really depends on the cause.
        The default is the tenant, unless that can show that the property is unsuitable for use and the mould is unevitable (usually due to lack of ventilation).

        Tenants will often claim that the mould is coming in from outside, which is next to impossible in real life.
        Damp will come through from outside, but it normally won't form mould.
        yes, also to do with whether they ventilate the flat themselves? opening windows etc

        Comment


          #5
          If the wall is not damaged but having the dump/condensation spots/scars then deductions from deposit would be illegal. Still Better that tenant paint that area themselves as its not a very difficult work because the same thing the estate agent/landlord must have done before you moved in.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Policy reader View Post
            If the wall is not damaged but having the dump/condensation spots/scars then deductions from deposit would be illegal. Still Better that tenant paint that area themselves as its not a very difficult work because the same thing the estate agent/landlord must have done before you moved in.
            its likely the tenants will happily paint over or clean it with bleach but if they argue who is in the right?

            Comment


              #7
              Once painted then it won't be visible then who to blame as who is right or wrong. As stated earlier the same estate agent/landlord do same as well before tenant arrival. Condensation/dump/mould is inevitable especially from November-February although can be reduced through ventilation but cannot be totally stopped because who stupid person will want ventilation in cold nights.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Policy reader View Post
                Once painted then it won't be visible then who to blame as who is right or wrong. As stated earlier the same estate agent/landlord do same as well before tenant arrival. Condensation/dump/mould is inevitable especially from November-February although can be reduced through ventilation but cannot be totally stopped because who stupid person will want ventilation in cold nights.
                I mean who is responsible for painitng or cleaning it. if tenant says they don't want to do it

                Comment


                  #9
                  Ethically its tenant duty. Also ethically it was estate agent/landlord job before the new tenant moved in. But during tenancy the letting agent must paint the walls which in most cases due to weather part of natural wear tear.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I provided my tenants with a mould free bungalow (yes - that one that's now minging). There was no mould when I bought it. The Ts dried clothes on the rads (small items found behind rads) and had a tumble dryer in the dining room. They were unemployed so in the house a lot of the time. They never opened the windows (there was mould on the window handles) so there was mould everywhere, even on the ceilings and all over the windows, and growing on the walls in the bedroom. Despite being advised on how to clean and prevent mould they did nothing. This problem was clearly caused by the tenants' lifestyle so I am billing them for the cleanup. We've even had to remove the mastic round the windows and replace it.

                    hsa1 the tenant is responsible for cleaning it off. There are bleach sprays just for doing this. If they don't then give them a S21 asap so you don't end up with a huge problem like I've got. If the T goes to the EA you will have to do something about it, even if it is the Ts lifestyle, such as putting in electric vents. That's what I was told by my local EA.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Berlingogirl,

                      The deposit holding authorities will maximum award you with £25 from deposit I bet with you. Its part of natural wear & tear. If you look your face in mirror now and then after one year then it won't be same regardless care you have done. Anything associated with natural wear & tear goes in favor of tenants and all these dumps/condensation must have been spotted & fixed when agency carry out regular inspections.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        pr, what is a dump?

                        hsa1 may need a prof Inspection to find cause, (penetrating damp due to blocked gutter, airflow restricted by settee/free-standing furniture, not wiping condensation from glass, inadequate heating).
                        Never let a T paint anything.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          It is not FWT. AIIC guidelines, constructed using the various deposit schemes feedback, say that, barring external factors, it is caused by the lifestyle of the tenant and should be attributed to be cleaned by the tenant.

                          It is wholly avoidable. Every good inventory should include notes on how it is attributed to lifestyle and how to avoid it. They work, I use the same steps in my own home.

                          And I'd never suggest a tenant paint over it, that just hides it, doesn't kill the mould and, in the longer-term, makes things worse.

                          Every check in I mention it, every interim inspinspectionI make note of it and, again, tell tenants how to avoid it and how to clean it.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Hsa1, dont listen to policy reader

                            Comment


                              #15
                              I had this with a past tenant, the property was mold free and had no issues at all with mold (normally !!), i gave the tenant a sheet on how to avoid it, even so they still had mold (lots of it), they called me round to complain and when i walked in they had wet clothes hanging from every hook and door frame, they admitted to never opening the windows, the heating was not on and it looked like it had never been as the fused spurs on each electric heater were turned off, when i asked about the heating they said they just put a coat and a hat on !!! Excuse me...... dim wits, you can not fix stupid and i have learnt that come what may if you get a tenant who does not listen or has a low IQ then there is nothing you can do to change their ways, just pick them well and hope for the best. I would just suck this up and clean it off.

                              Comment

                              Latest Activity

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X