Landlord requests access constantly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landlord requests access constantly

Im really struggling with my landlord, I've lived in my flat for exactly 4 months today and my landlord has requested access 6 times so far, that is an average of every 2 1/2 weeks. He always request access to inspect things such as my heater, fire alarm, fire door, change batteries etc. Am I right in thinking that this is a breach to my right of quiet enjoyment? Surely he could perform all of these things at once instead of constantly wanting to access my flat, or is it his right to continue on the trend of wanting to show up every 2 1/2 weeks to either inspect something or perform maintenance that I haven't requested?

You can decline the landlord's request for access.
    It's helpful to make a counter offer of a more acceptable date and time.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Sounds a bit creepy to me. I'd do what jp has suggested and arrange for a time when you can have a friend round for company.

Comment

What sort of tenancy do you have, whole property or room only? If the latter then the landlord can access the communal parts any time without permission.

Comment

There is disagreement and no judicial guidance on how a landlord's right of entry should be exercised. However, there is no doubt that it must be exercised reasonably. The landlord here is not being reasonable and his conduct is in danger of amounting to a breach of his covenant for quiet enjoyment.

Comment

Originally posted by Berlingogirl View Post
            Sounds a bit creepy to me. I'd do what jp has suggested and arrange for a time when you can have a friend round for company.
            Agree with the creepy bit, very odd indeed. If you feel that he is visiting for reasons other than he says then as stated simply refuse the times he wants and have a friend with you the next time or simply say no.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X